Sunday, December 7, 2014

Quick Movie Review


Toys (1992, USA) | Rating: 2.5/5

I guess this is one of Robin Williams' lesser known movies, because I've never heard it nor did anyone I asked about it. According to IMDb, it has a very average score and plenty of commenters defending its social commentary about toys and war and whatnot. I picked this movie for the obvious reason of Robin Williams starring in it and I've never heard of it before. I can see this movie not appealing to everyone as certain moments do seem a bit silly at times, but the silliness has a purpose. It's a sibling rivalry over a toy factory and it seems as though, I'm assuming, older brother doesn't quite understand the purpose of creating toys for kids when they can be used for warfare. I thought the movie was entertaining enough; not enough to revisit any time soon, but it was decent.



Only God Forgives (2013, France) | Rating: 2/5

I've seen this movie on the shelf at my work for a while and that it got checked out frequently when it was brand new. I didn't have much interest in it until I saw a preview for it in another movie. I must say this movie has a lot of visual appeal! The lighting is very stylistic, the fight choreography is exciting, and just overall it is a treat for the eyes. Unfortunately, this movie lacks one very important element: story. There is a plot, a simple one, but it exists. The execution of the story surrounding said plot is very lacking. There's some vague dialogue and a few thoughts expressed verbally, but it's hard to understand what the heck is going on when you listened to what the characters are saying, which is pretty important. It's very sad that this movie has such weak execution with its storytelling, because you really want to like the movie due to its sheer visual appeal.



Snowpiercer (2013, USA) | Rating: 4/5

My mother told me about this movie after reading a newspaper review and I skimmed over it, noticing a familiar name, Joon-ho Bong. Most would know Joon-ho Bong from the movie, The Host (not to be mistaken for the movie based on the Stephanie Meyer's novel), but I recognize the name from a perhaps lesser known movie, Mother. I didn't know what to expect from this American directorial effort as some Asian directors tend to have lackluster movies for their international audiences. Although this might not be for the casual moviegoer, I found myself enjoying another perceptive of a post-apocalyptic world with class system. The concept is probably getting annoying, but as long as the movie makes it interesting and entertaining, then it doesn't get boring. This movie is set on a train and has some very diverse set of people in each class. There's a possibility I might return to reviewing this movie and giving it a full review, because it has so many layers, great visuals, and some characters that you can easily attach yourself to.



Life After Beth (2014, USA) | Rating: 3/5

Zombies are still in, right? If you're sick of the zombie craze lately, then you should take a pass on this movie. But honestly, it is an amusing comedy with some very funny actors. The story seems pretty simple, but it seems to take a twist and turn here and there that makes this simple story truly entertaining. Although the entertainment factor is pretty good, the lasting appeal is easy to fade from your memory. Aubrey Plaza is funny, but from time to time her character can be annoying. I'm sure that was on purpose though so you can truly feel the conflict of Dane DeHaan feels with her: love, sympathy, and frustration. There's a little more than just zombies presented here, so it does bring something new to the zombie comedy genre. Of course, Zombieland will always be the winner for me.



Mr. Peabody and Sherman (2014, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Surprised, yet not surprised that this retro short from the The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show was going to be brought to the big screen as everyone has been digging in the vintage pile of people's childhoods. Unlike the The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle from 2000, this movie is actually good and funny. I was very curious how they would play off this educational animated short, but they managed to create a simple story that ties in those historical elements that adults remember from their childhoods. It might not be overtly or even obviously educational as it focuses more on the simplistic plot, but there's little tidbits here and there to subliminally slip into your children's minds.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

1 comment:

xxdovahkiinxx said...

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on Birdman!