Monday, December 7, 2015

Top 5 Recommended Music Videos


"크레용팝 'FM'" by Crayon Pop
I know everyone was crazy about "Bar Bar Bar" last year...and "The Fox Song", but I just couldn't get into it. I never got into this group's appeal, but something about this video and song intrigued me. It reminded me a lot of Japanese pop music like AKB48 and such, even though I never really listened to them. I guess the closest thing I listen to is BeForU, who are probably more known for their contribution to the rhythm game series Dance Dance Revolution. Getting back on track of this video, not only does the song sound more like your typical jpop song, the visuals remind me of the laughable productions of Power Rangers (Sentai shows) and Godzilla. It's amusing and makes me smile. This'll probably be the only Crayon Pop song I'll be jamming to for a while.



"God" by Jimin (AOA) & J.Don (N.Flying)
This might be a surprising choice as I'm far from being a fan of AOA's material and at some point in time, you'll learn how annoying I think Jimin is, but something about this song (and video) is worthy of recommendation. It reminds me of 4Minute's HyunA: trying to be sexy and a bad bitch, but her vocal "talent" can only be handled in small doses for me. She tries to act all tough and demure like a goddess, but Jimin can't have it all in my eyes. Nonetheless, if I push past the high notes that scrap my ears, I do enjoy jamming out to this. I like the minimalistic trap beat, the delivery in the verses, and the contrast in Jimin and J.Don's voices. They have just enough chemistry to being opposing of each other, while working together at the same time. The set pieces and camera work are very appealing and goes well with the elegant, yet hard image Jimin is going for.



"I NEED U" by BTS
[Original version]
BTS remains one of my male bias groups in kpop and this video, no matter the version, is further proof of their talent. I originally watched the video that is embedded, then checked out the original version which is rated 19 for its visual content. The difference between the two was the individual stories that might seem too violent or even triggering for some viewers, so please watch with caution. With the expanded story, it is also a little longer than embedded version. Either video is equally great as you can still tell what's going on and enjoy this amazing song. The song is both hard hitting in sound, but fragile lyrically. It's a balance that is challenging for a lot of kpop groups. Even though the content lyrically and visually are quite gloomy and realistic, it's another one of their videos that I could easily watch over and over and still be in awe by their growth as a group. Even more, I'm surprised how far they went with the 19+ content without overdoing it or letting it overshadow the happy moments the boys share together.



"SEX TRIP" by Jay Park
Obviously, this isn't a song you can listen to just anywhere, but surprisingly the visuals aren't as NSFW as you would think with a title like that. Ths visuals are quite sensual, much like the GRAY produced beat, and might I say...sophisticated to an extent. This is like Usher or 90's R. Kelly level sexy. There's plenty of eye candy for both sexes, but not overly sexy where you have to look over your shoulder to make sure that no one catches you watching it. Really, the lyrics would be your real worry as Jay Park doesn't hold back with his lustfilled and determined words. He's poetically blunt and smooth. Definitely baby making music and it's beautifully shot. Honestly, I could see something like this appealing to western audiences quite a bit.



"Love game" by Lim Kim
Similar to "Awoo", this video has a very vibrant color scheme with quirky visuals and lyrical delivery. It's hard not to be charmed by Lim Kim the same way the men pursuing her are. She looks beautiful and alluring with a subtle sex appeal that isn't in your face like a lot of kpop girl idols. I like the diversity of men featured in this video and the lyrics are amusing. It's an easily enjoyable music video.

No comments: