Friday, May 18, 2018

Quick Movie Review


Catfight (2016, USA) | Rating: 2/5

I haven't heard too much about this movie, but I like Sandra Oh, despite not seeing too much of her work. I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into by the box cover and the description is what made me give it chance. I suppose this is some sort of dark comedy of a movie that has to deal with two women that share a long time grudge from high school and they just constantly fight. It’s quite brutal! The whole story is kinda bizarre and over the top with its execution as the conclusion just seems so unbelievable with what has happened between our two main characters. It’s a little tempting to watch this again to see if there’s something I’m missing, but I feel like one viewing was enough for me.



John Wick Chapter 2 (2017, USA) | Rating: 2/5

Why would I watch the sequel when I didn’t care for the first movie? Simply curiosity I suppose. Something about this John Wick fellow just really gets people excited. Yes, I enjoyed the visuals and the action, but the story was weak. So, I hoped maybe this sequel would change my mind. From what I heard, fans of the first movie didn’t care for this one too much, so it didn’t really change my opinion either. Sure, there was just a little more story, but not enough for me to completely invest myself in Mr. Wick. Visuals and action still remained pleasing, but I couldn’t tell you anything about his motivations.



Detour (2016, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

While Baby Driver was being promoted, I saw the previews to this one on one of the DVDs I rented. It stars Tye Sheridan, not to be confused with Ed Sheeran or Ansel Elgort, but he has that look about him that confuses my mom sometimes, especially when they both have obviously interesting names. Yes, there’s fast cars, death, and some good action, but I wasn’t expecting too much from this movie. I was pleasantly surprised by all the various twists and turns that this movie did provide after revenge was taken or anger was freed. There’s plenty of action and suspense that kept me interested in seeing this story to the end.



I Am Heath Ledger (2017, USA) | Rating: 4.5/5

There are moments in my life that I wish I was a bigger fan of Heath Ledger. One moment was when I watched 10 Things I Hate About You for the first time and another moment was when I watched this semi-autobiographical documentary. From what I read, the footage you see is from various recordings from Mr. Ledger himself. I found this perspective fascinating and different from your usual talking heads type of documentary. I learned a lot about this talented actor through his eyes and those who were close to him. There were a lot of things I didn’t know about him and it made me want to check out more of his work. If you’re fan of Heath Ledger or want to know more about him, this is a great documentary to watch and reminiscent over.



Sleepless (2017, USA) | Rating: 1.5/5

When I saw the previews to this movie, it had a lot of promise. I enjoy Jamie Foxx and the work I have seen from him and I figured this action movie would be in good hands with him as well as a few other talented actors on the list. After watching it and skimming some of the comments on IMDb, the general agreement was that this action movie ran a little too slow for us and the story was very weak and generic. Sometimes generic premises can be saved by talented actors, but this one was no match for Mr. Foxx and the gang. I found myself bored between action scenes and unimpressed when they did happen. This was such a waste for such a talented cast, which made it kinda disappointing for me.

No comments: