Monday, September 3, 2018

BlipMasta5's April & May 2018 Favorites

Favorite Dance Video
Filthy - Ian Eastwood & The Young Lions


Being 100% honest, I had to choose between 3 dance videos this month to share with you guys. This ended up being the one I wanted to go with due to the execution of the concept. I already love the song and since the original music video had a whole futuristic robot vibe, I love how they took that into idea behind this routine. They try to start off robotic, doing a lot of the popular moves of the times for the sake of popularity until it flourishes into more intricate choreography. It's so amazing to watch them tackle this beat with a bit of groove and precision, so I had to pick this one this time. Hope you enjoy!


Favorite Anime Discussion
A Love Letter to Violet Evergarden - Manime Matt



Violet Evergarden was one of my favorites of the Winter season. This video here really brings to light all of the reasons why. Being that I'm American, I had to wait for Netflix to release all the episodes at once having no clue that it would be one of the best shows. The heart and journey orchestrated in the show's plot pierced my soul and almost made me tear up a bit (although another show actually did make me cry this month.) I highly recommend giving this show a watch if you haven't already. If this blurb wasn't enough convincing, maybe Manime Matt can do more to coerce you to do so.

Favorite Remixes
Finesse - Brail Watson



Here's another Brail share!! He's been on a roll remixing some of the biggest songs lately and this video shows him going all out. Brail mashes up Bruno Mars with Michael Jackson's "Remember the Time" and Brownstone's "If You Love Me" while singing, rapping, playing keys & cello! Not only does this impress, but it also entertains, making this an easy joint to jam to. Be awe-inspired by watching for yourself!

ICON - Street Light



I haven't gotten to talk about Street Light with you all yet, so I also wanted to give you the opportunity to be enlightened. Pun intended. After the release of his awesome album, Run For Your Life, Street has returned to dropping a few remixes and promotional singles. Paired with a music video and wittiness presented here is bananas. You can certainly tell that he's a big fan of artists like Lupe Fiasco and Eminem, so wordplay comes a mile a minute. If you enjoy lyricism, then give this a listen and you won't be let down.

Favorite Music Video
Empathy - Sylvan LaCue




I was sooo excited when this video dropped, being one of my favorite songs off the album, Apologies in Advance. The concept was done really well by using the settings of a barbershop and a therapy session. These two locations definitely share similarities with how intimate the relationships can become. We share our innermost thoughts here and hope for that empathy to be shared in return. The song itself talking about the importance of that action being taken in life and how it should be something we should strive for. This, in my opinion, are some fantastic visuals for a phenomenal song.

April's Favorites Playlist: April 2018

Favorite Hip Hop Hot Topics
This is America - Childish Gambino


This video has been everywhere! Yet, I couldn't help sharing this myself. The wealth of symbolism throughout the music video is enormous. Exploring the themes of gun violence, injustice, media, and entertainment is worth discussion. Though, we also seen memes spark up based off this video adding to the exact prospect of distraction and misdirection the entire video demonstrates. It's quite an intriguing cultural event and that's just mainly diving into the visuals as the song concisely points out the common topics and their effects on black America. If you haven't given this a spin, then here's the opportunity. I await what's next to come from Childish, including the studio version of "Saturday".

I Bought it - Destorm Power


Here's a dope video that takes a similar approach as Joyner Lucas' "I'm Not Racist" presentation. This time, the topic happens to be about unplanned pregnancies that are common in urban neighbors. It honestly gives two perspectives females and males have on the situation. It definitely shows the importance of them handling pregnancy together, but how tough it is do so cordially especially if they are at a young age. Destorm Power really did a fantastic job on the message of his song and the actors did a wonderful job playing out the scene to make it hit home. Click play and see for yourself!

Favorite Dance Video
Niia - All I Need (Galen Hooks)


This performance (Galen's) nearly brought me to tears. The other groups also brought their own on emotion to the choreography as they were instructed to and I love every second. In the "Inside Look" video on Galen Hooks' channel, she goes into the detail about the choreo and each dancer they captured footage of. It was extremely eye-opening as we learn that this particular take of Galen was when she was prompted to perform as if it was for her "unborn baby". The alternate performance and extra groups are on Galen's channel, as well, and if you're a fan of the intricacies of musicality you can see the subtle changes that can alter the experience. I'd share them all, but for the entry point I'll give you this.

Favorite Discovery of the Month
How it is - Sen Morimoto


I don't talk about it often, but I love musical oddities such as this discovery. The credit all goes to 88rising and my new fandom of their movement. Sen Morimoto was promoted as he's a member of the crew along with Sooper Records. Jazz and experimental music is something I like to dip my toes into occassionally and stumbling on this cool artistic piece was right up my alley. The chill and slightly uneasy vibe really match the lyrics of the song leading to a nice song to jam to. If that seems to pique your interest, I'd advise you give him a listen.

Favorite Music Discussion
What Does "For the Culture" Really Mean? - HipHopDX


So every rapper these days says that what they bring to the game is "for the culture". It's one of those things that is either easily accepted by or readily irritating to people who love Hip Hop. Here HipHopDX, through the emcee Murs, analyze what Hip Hop culture has been originally described as and how it's developed throughout the years. Then, he goes on to test different things that many artists has said is "for the culture" to determine if it honestly is for Hip Hop culture or otherwise. What is concluded may surprise as he goes through the examples, because as one who knows the "Four Pillars of Hip Hop", I had to rethink who I can accept as true promoters of the culture.

Favorite TV Show Discussion
Atlanta: What TV Can Be - Screen Prism


It should be no secret that I'm a huge fan of Atlanta. The way it has been an important show in pop culture is undeniable. This video really goes in depth on how this series not only innovates, but exceeds in telling stories that haven't been explored in commonly unseen perspectives. If you have not gotten into the show, this look (with spoilers) should give you impetus to do so. I don't really watch TV, but I have faithfully made time to turn on this every night it premieres. WATCH THIS SHOW!!!

May Favorites Playlist: May 2018

No comments: