Tuesday, June 11, 2019

BlipMasta5's April & May 2019 Favorites

Favorite Music Videos
No Handouts - Alan Z


Alan Z is an artist I've following for a year and a half, I believe. His mix of R&B and hip-hop is something I've enjoyed all the while. This song from his EP, First Time's the Charm, is one of my favorites from the entire project. The way this video maps out the difficulty he's had as an Asian-American in the music industry was simply, but greatly portrayed. I see a lot of potential for him in this business as long as he continues to let his talent speak as loudly as it does on each song he's released.



Say B*tch - Snow Tha Product


Snow has been an emcee that has had a lot of trouble with labels and getting her music to break into the mainstream. It's quite a shame as well since her songs have such appeal and usually have a fun vibe. This new single is a clear demonstration of this aspect. Now that she's fully independent again, I really hope that she continues to break ground around the world since she still tours like a beast. If you dig it, put more of her stuff on your playlist!!

Favorite Music Skit
5 Kinds of White Rappers - FREE DAPS


I saw FREE DAPS almost 2 years ago and ever since, I've been a fan. They are a cool improv comedy/rap group. They're based in Orlando and have recently been making more use of their YouTube channel with skits like these. This one in particular really made me laugh! Yet if you would like to hear their true skills, I would highly suggest that you check out their music online.

Favorite Dance Video
Was Dat by J Blaze - Alisa Tsitseronova


I found out about Alisa through another choreographer that I enjoy, Lando Wilkins. He was the choreographer of the Nailcuttahs in the past and her performance of the routines made me follow her. I was then pleasantly surprised to see her years later on NBC's World of Dance. She's extremely versatile with her dance styles, but I can't get enough of her hip hop performances. This is one quick look at a piece that she choreographed herself that I enjoyed. Hopefully you do, too.

Favorite Anime Discussion
The Impact of Anime Simuldubs - The Cartoon Cipher


Occasionally, I would check out this channel with its frequent topics on voice acting and adaptations. This topic, in general, is one that has crossed my mind from time to time, but this video really fleshed out my knowledge on just how the anime industry is affected by Simuldubs nowadays. As a person who prefers dubs (I know, you can kill me later), I have been a subscriber of Funimation's streaming service for years now. I've seen a bit of the affects of quickly turning around localizations of the scripts have on the writing and acting of shows. It's an absolutely amazing thing to have a closer watching experience of seasonal anime with some shows time-wise as sub watchers (which I do, btw, so still kill me later). Though, it seems to put a lot of strain on these studios and I can only imagine how much worse it can be on the Japanese side of things with the deadlines, not only on the scripts and actors, but the artwork also! Anyway, maybe you find this as interesting as I do and this video intrigues you, too.

Favorite Discovery: Blackpink (in your area!)
Things You Didn't Notice - BlackpinkFunVideos


It took forever, but I've finally started to truly dive into K-Pop and Blackpink is to blame. I went through the wormhole by first looking up fandom terms, then digging into all the Blackpink fan videos of compilations. I learned the backstory behind each member, watched all the music videos (some were rewatching), decided my bias, Rosé, and bias breaker, Jennie. Their girl power focus and heavier hip hop production than other groups drew me in. Now nothing can "Kill This Love"! The video above is one of the many that I found quite hilarious, although I'm not that wild with my fandom. Though, with confidence, I can say I'm a Blink who was happy with their Coachella performance. Yet, who else should I dive into...I'm thinking Red Velvet or TWICE? Give me suggestions, because I'm open 2NE1! Haha.

Full April 2019 Favorites playlist: click here


Favorite Music Behind the Scenes
Kanye West: The Making of "Late Registration" - The Most Unruly


Late Registration is my favorite Kanye West project. Despite his polarizing place in pop culture, his college series of albums will always be heralded as classic hip hop albums. The reason why this album pleases me so much is the fact that the production and rapping seem to be matched in quality, in my opinion. Therefore, to finally have The Most Unruly present the creation of this album made me a very happy man. He's really great with his research and presentation with much of his work, so I can't recommend him more if you enjoy hip hop culture (especially with artists that branch off from Kanye's influence.)

Favorite Music Video Essay
The History of Rap's Popularity - Pop Song Professor


As many people know now, rap is the most listened to music in the US. The statistics behind the growth is certainly something that interests me as it hopefully will you. Even if it doesn't, checking out this quick video may intrigue you and give some insight to how this genre of music has continue to invade popular culture in America. There's even some more videos that Pop Song Professor makes that deal with other genres that are quite awe-inspiring to discover. I may have never known about this creator without this cool guest video on the NeedleDrop.

Favorite Dance Video
Would You - Pink Sweat$ (Brian Puspos Choreography)


Why oh why is Brian so SMOOTH! I have no other words. Just watch the video!

Favorite Song
Ricky - Denzel Curry


Denzel Curry is well on his way to becoming one of my favorite rappers. Last year's TABOO had so many sides with a witty & varied rhyme style that when Ricky came out, I was immediately ecstatic. He soon announced a new album soon to come and I was ready! To help keep me from demanding it sooner, this song satisfied me with fun delivery and personal anecdotes that shaped Curry as a person. Plus the punchy and bouncy beat was so infectious, I couldn't help but repeat it (eventually alongside SPEEDBOAT) until the 31st of this month. That review is soon to come, but for now enjoy this joint!

Favorite Music Video
Intervention - Anna Akana


Anna Akana is a creator that I've been watching for years now. She's dabbled in music here and there, as well as simple poetry, hence I knew this was an avenue of creativity she wanted to explore more. The unveiling of a full music project then was coupled with the first single's music video. The song itself was well done with a suitable song structure and relatable lyrics, but this video...the video was pure eye candy. Much of the editing for this video resembled Atlanta's second season teasers, yet seeing it paired with the theme and message of the song was an excellent match! The great cinematography with the match cuts and edits are a wonder to watch, even as a person who has done more editing than my reviews show for. Honestly, I can say that I'm looking forward to the next videos to come along with the album. Are you?

Full May 2019 Favorites Playlist: click here

No comments: