Sunday, November 24, 2019

BM5's September & October 2019 Favorites

Favorite Interview
Niki - Zach Sang Show


Zach Sang has become one of my favorite interviewers lately. He truly makes his guests comfortable and is able to get really genuine answers from them. Then Dan, his co-host, sometimes makes the most hilarious interactions with the guests as well. In this case, I got to hear more about Niki than I have in any other interview, though I haven't seen many. This happens soon after the Head in the Clouds festival and seeing how she views her career and the impact it has on Asian culture throughout the world is fascinating. I'd give it a watch if that interests you like it does myself.


Favorite Movie Discussion
The Terrible Version of Woody That Almost Destroyed Pixar - Nerdstalgic


Nerdstalgic is a channel newer to my radar that I've been subscribed to recently that has provided to me info on a lot of media of my childhood that I never knew. This time, it's all about the beginning stages of Toy Story and how the early missteps shaped how much of the storytelling was told from the studio since then. Find out some of this story by watching the quick video above!

Favorite Music Video
Let Me Go - Anna Akana


The imagery in this video of Anna Akana's visual album is absolutely amazing. Yet, for me, the most impressive part of this experience is her song. Her vocal performance in this is the best that I've heard as she's growing into a full-fledged musical artist. You can also hear the heartbreak along with the developed skill. The audio album is to come out in October and I will certainly look forward to the rest of the music videos from the project. Will you?

Favorite Dance Video
i love you - Billie Eilish (Galen Hooks Choreography)


Once again, I have to stress how much Galen's choreography makes me love her with every piece. I almost cried in her performance (the first one). This is one of the most heart-wrenching songs from Billie Eilish's fantastic album and the class/choreo Miss Hooks paired with it embodies the emotion perfectly. She always tries to make class experiences that give students the opportunity to train not only on learning and owning the moves taught, but types of work in the industry that aren't usually taught. This one is all about music videos that are dance-centric coupled with choreographed photography. Each dancer featured really put themselves into the music and emote the lyrics in their own way through the performance. I'm sure everyone can find their favorites, but in my case there's only about two that I didn't connect to as strongly. Bask in the glory of the art of dance!

Full Sept. 2019 Favorite List: click here


Favorite Music Discussion
The Avengers of KPop: A Story of LOONA -The Asian Theory


Alright, so a few months ago I learned of LOONA through Digibro. He got asked to review Odd Eye Circle's Max & Match EP and despite his disinterest, I was curious to hear it. I liked it quite a bit, but I left it at that. A few weeks go by and LOONA is interviewed by FBE at KCON, so I cave in and dig deeper into the group. I go to the channel and watch the MVs and a bit of LOONAtv with much satisfaction. YouTube finally catches on and begins to recommend all things LOONA to me and the fact that I see "lore" is a factor; I'm even more intrigued. I ultimately saw this video and saw it as one of the easiest ones to understand some of the craziness behind the concept and had to share. So to end this, I must say that if you aren't a fellow Orbit: Stan LOONA! Haha! Or do whatever, I don't care.

Favorite Music Video
Joanna - JoJo


Ya'll know I love me some JoJo. It's been a little while since Mad Love. and I was happy that she rerecorded her older material for streaming services, but new music was what I was strongly anticipating. This song really captures some genuine feelings some of her long time fans think of JoJo's career and the video does a good job of showing how fan culture can be nowadays in a very simple & effective way. This along with her other single, Sabotage, has me extremely excited for the album to come. How do you feel?

Favorite Music Documentary
Tobe From the Swat Tour: The Extension - Tobe Nwigwe


Tobe is an artist that I've become a fan of this year and his work ethic is marvelous. Truly, it is awe-inspiring to witness in real time and this documentary gives deeper insight into just how much work he puts in. I love behind the scenes information and this mini-doc really made me appreciate even more so the effort Tobe and his team put in to releasing weekly content along with touring. THAT is impressive. THAT is dedication and ambition. THAT makes me a fan. How about you?

Favorite Video Game Discussion
What Games Are Like For Someone Who Doesn't Play Games - Razbuten


I know video games aren't the main draw on this blog, but it is a big aspect of my life. With that being the case I thought this was an interesting premise for a video and I hope it could be for you readers, as well. I, as many in my age group, have grown up with video games and understand many of the mechanics of them regardless of genre. Yet for someone who doesn't play these contraptions, much of how to function in their frameworks are lost and lose interest quickly. This is all more deeply explained through the experiment above. It really had me thinking. I hope it does the same for the rest of you out there.

Full October 2019 Playlist: click here

No comments: