Tuesday, March 17, 2020

BM5's January & February 2020 Favorites

Favorite Dance Video
The Present - VillN, M-PACT, Logistx


The cool thing about the B-Boys of Kinjaz and those affiliated with them is that they love to display the artistry of breakdancing in ways most people wouldn't think of. They combine the style along with a more traditional-like Japanese piece in the most beautiful way. The skill and musicality is fully displayed throughout and I HAD to share it with the audience here to enjoy!


Favorite Music Video
Darkness - Eminem


This surprise drop was quite a treat which is has always been a toss up with Eminem of late. The video does a great job of showing the dichotomy of the lyrics since there's so many double entendres, it's absolutely astounding. I love when Em pulls from his bag of tricks in his storytelling and this was one of the best examples of that from this recent album. It's certainly telling how Eminem still continues to make his political stances clear in his material and this is one of the less off-putting songs in this style. Give it a watch!

Favorite Cover Video
Yummy (B-Mix) - Brail Watson


Alright, so technically this isn't a full cover. This is an ill remix from Brail over Justin Bieber's chill and poorly used Yummy instrumental. Yet, I'll include this as a cover as Brail sneaks in some SWV over this tune and continues to showcase his amazing talent through singing and rapping. This is a nice return to his B-Mix series and we can only hope he keeps giving us more ear candy.

Favorite Interview
ITZY - Build Series


ITZY is a group that I've slowly gained some admiration for as a rookie group and in the current push towards western markets for many groups, I was surprised to see them immediately head that direction. Thing is, a lot of the interviews with many Kpop groups are quite lacking. This here is a great exception as the interviewer was very knowledgeable and hospitable, while trying to bridge cultures. I was also impressed by ITZY's training in English to be prepared for the early Western promotions. This interview shows off their lovable personalities and also was informative to me, including some exclusive news of what's to come. A lot of these media outlets should take notes and we should promote these great examples!

Full January 2020 playlist: click here


Favorite KPop Comeback
"So What" - LOONA


This is an unfair comparison for other groups this month since LOONA is my ult group at the moment. I've been heavily enjoying all of the promotions they've been doing after having a year since their last project. Though, I do have to say there has been a huge amount of great comebacks and debuts this month. So after checking out "#" by LOONA, some honorable mentions would be Dreamcatcher's "Dystopia: The Tree of Language", Pentagon's "Universe: The Black Hall", Moonbyul's "Dark Side of the Moon", and IZ*ONE's "Bloom*Iz".

Favorite Anime Discussion
A Defense of Code Geass's Euphemia Moment - Replay Value


Code Geass slowly has become one of my favorite shows in my rewatches of the series. Everyone who has seen the anime comes across this topic eventually and are torn on how to take the major turning point in the first season. I'm personally fine with the moment, though some of the later points that Replay Value bring up that could enhance the event would have been cool to see along with its repercussions lasting a bit longer. But, hey, we still got an entertaining show out of it, in tandem with one of the strongest endings of anime to date.

Favorite Dance Video
"Good Thing" Dance Practice - Lisa (and Choreographer)


The reasons I love this dance is two-fold; first, this song by Kehlani was surprisingly introduced to me at my job and I fell in love with it. The second point is that we got some more dance content from Lisa of Blackpink! We know how rare music related content is from anything Blackpink gets to present. In fact, this is only possible due to the choreographer sharing the session with the world. It's cool that we get to see a little bit of how her and the dancer's learning process goes. It finally ends with spectacular execution to a great routine with lots of sex appeal. Enjoy!!

Favorite Mini-Doc
No Longer Silenced - UPROXX


If you've been with me a while, you'll know how much I love JoJo and how talented she is. I've been following her and her story for some time, and yet I still learn more as she slowly grows past the struggles of her former label. I'm extremely excited to see what the next chapter will be like for JoJo, especially with the new singles and tour that's been announced. This video here really gives details about her career that I'm sure many people who wondered what happened to her will appreciate. I certainly have, even as a dedicated fan. The music industry is crazy, but I'll let her tell it.

Full Feb. 2020 Playlist: click here

No comments: