Tuesday, June 2, 2020

BM5's April & May 2020 Favorites

Favorite Animation Documentary
Penny Proud UNPLUGGED - Toonrifiq Tariq


Growing up, The Proud Family was one of my favorite cartoons. It was so great having such a multi-cultural show to watch. It was wacky and down-to-earth. It was truly a landmark in the history of Disney Channel. With the news of its imminent return through Disney+ in the future, seeing this analysis/interview video was quite a treat to see in my recommended section. It gave a lot of great context behind the shows creation as well as a decent chunk of backstory on the show's creator. I would've never known that Bruce W. Smith was so involved at the company and even released Bebe's Kids on his own, as well. This is honestly an eye-opening documentary.



Favorite Music Documentary
Coachella: 20 Years in the Desert - YouTube Original


Over the years, Coachella has become a cultural event in America that set new standards in the festival circuit. It is quite sad that with the celebration of the event being 20 years old is paired with postponement due to the Corona Virus. Though, learning much more about the festival's humble beginnings is a nice substitute in its usual date of occurrence. The runners of Coachella really show how much love they have for live music and the experience it brings to the attendees along with the performers. It's insane to see how monumental these concerts have become and the efforts put forth to make them a reality. I have to say that this is something you must witness yourself. Plus, it makes me want to save the money to go myself one weekend.

Favorite Dance Video
Lilifilm #3 - Lilifilm (Lisa from Blackpink)


I don't think there's anyone who's a fan of Blackpink who hasn't already watched this a million times, but in case you haven't...DO IT! Lisa has been quite busy with the Chinese reality show, Youth with You, as a dance mentor, yet she still had this waiting in the vault to release and I couldn't be happier. Instead of the usual hard hitting femininity she usually gives us, this routine is all about sex appeal. After watching a reaction from a professional heels dancer, I can see where there could be improvement in Lisa's form, yet the execution is still quite top notch. Her lines throughout the choreo is truly the focus, though surprisingly what gets me the most is her facial expression. Her eyes just whisper, "You watching? Get a load of this." Haha. I'll just end this by shouting out her choreographer of these Lilifilm routines, Cheshir Ha, because your work is amazing.

Favorite Music Video
Stay Tonight - Chung Ha


Yeah, so...I almost went through this month with no clear favorite new releases, then Chung Ha had to come and slay! When I say that this pre-release single is absolutely stunning, this is probably an understatement. Everything about the song, video, choreography is S-tier level. Even watching the choreography videos is a spectacle! The vibe of the song hits that great 90's and modern mix that is perfect for the New York Ballroom. I'm talking VOGUE! Still the move that hits me the most those body waves that are so mesmerizing due to their synchronization. That doesn't even touch the moment that has most fans "floored". Vocals were on point with just the right type of performance in each section and showed her power and control. I'll definitely be anticipating reacting to her next project. I'm no longer worried like I was from the other couple of singles and collaborations.

Full April 2020 Favorites playlist: click here

Favorite Anime Music Video
The Real Folk Blues - Yoko Kanno, The Seatbelts, & Cast


Cowboy Bebop is one of my absolute favorite anime and has my favorite soundtrack. This show introduced me to Yoko Kanno and her work, so it holds a very dear place in my heart. In fact, "The Real Folk Blues" is probably the first song I actually memorized the Japanese lyrics to instead of just the English phrases. Therefore, to see this lovely international collab be put together during the worldwide quarantine was quite a treat. I just want to share it with you all, as well! Enjoy!!

Favorite Kpop Music Discussion
Kpop History in 20 Minutes - DKDKtv


As a long time reader should know, last year was my full dive into the Kpop genre. In midst of my descent into the world of idol music, there has many of videos I've watched to chronicle the rise and growth of the scene. This video essay from DKDKtv has been one of the most succinct and informative ones that I've seen lately. I feel its presentation from a Korean's perspective was important for me to see, since many other looks into the industry has been from international fans. They break it down rather simply and I think has become the first video I would show someone about the topic. Let me know if you agree.

Favorite American Music Discussion
Let's Unpack Because the Internet - Mic the Snare


Because the Internet by Childish Gambino a.k.a. Donald Glover is most likely my favorite album of his. Yet, a loooooot around the release of this "experience" is heavily debated over when it comes to its quality and necessity. With about 3 short films, a script, twitter accounts, and websites dedicated around the project, it becomes a sprawling and convoluted display. Many wonder how much of it all matters, especially if the main thing we come back to is the music itself. In reality, even portions of the album make much more sense with things like the script in context. Although, there's a majority of listeners who are unaware it exists and still have a satisfying experience. This discussion is very well laid out for us in this video and I think it's worth looking into, most certainly for fans and non-fans alike.

Favorite Live Performance
Tango (Cover) by Ailee & Jamie (Jimin) Park


Within the last year, two of my favorite female vocalists in kpop have become Ailee and Jamie. Not only are they incredibly talented, but their personalities on display have been so infectious. I was obviously, then, excited to hear that a new reality series on Mnet was going to feature them both. I, next, was ecstatic to see that they decided to do a collaborative stage in English (in which they're both fluent) and in sassy soul mode. Both apparently are influenced by R&B singers out here in the west which allows them to put that bit of "umph" in their tone that just appeals to my sensibilities. Ultimately, this made it a shoo-in to be included in my favorites list. ENJOY!

Full May 2020 Favorites Playlist: click here

No comments: