Friday, May 13, 2022

Miko's Music Stats 2020

I know I haven't been doing the "Most Shocking/Disappointing/WTF Asian Music Moments" in a few years, but I wanted to try something more personal and different. I haven't been the best at keeping up with music. In fact, I have a massive backlog on my iTunes library dating back to 2014/2015. It's really disgusting! Nonetheless, I have been listening to more Spotify to somewhat keep up with what's new. So, here's some stats from my last.fm [and Spotify].


Top 10 Most Played Artists


10. KARD - 63 scrobbles
9. NCT 127 - 68 scrobbles
8. (G)I-DLE, DJ Snake, & In This Moment - 72 scrobbles
7. Tinashe - 77 scrobbles
6. The Saturdays - 78 scrobbles

5. Exo - 80 scrobbles
I honestly miss listening to Exo as much as I used to in the past. In 2020, I was very behind on listening to some of their newer releases. Most of the scrobbles you'll notice is from listening to "OBSESSION" over and over again, while dabbling into some of their older releases. I'm looking forward to of course talking more about one of my favorite kpop boy groups in the near future.


4. Jay Park - 97 scrobbles
It wasn't until I checked out BlipMasta5's reaction to Jay Park's English release that I was interested in seeing what he had to offer the U.S. since signing under Roc Nation. I wasn't super impressed with it and thought it felt watered down compared to his Korean releases. Fortunately, I had the pleasure of listening to his 19+ album, Everything You Wanted. It was only natural for me to keep listening to certain tracks when the CD was no longer in my car. It is truly one of his best releases.


3. Chanmina - 111 scrobbles
This artist was featured in one of my monthly favorites post, so I'm not surprised to see her here in my top 5 artists for the year. Chanmina remains talented and I can't wait to hear what she has in store for the future. I'm also glad that I got BM5 into her.





2. Miyavi - 112 scrobbles
Despite being a long time fan, I've seem to have fallen off with this talented musician. I still love me some Miyavi! Learning that he was performing in my area really pushed me to catch up on his material and actually keep up with his releases. I regret nothing!





1. The Weeknd - 243 scrobbles
2020 really solidified my new obsession with The Weeknd. I have no regrets! He really made the year more bearable for me with his music and visual artistic abilities to express his lyrics and vision.







Top 15 Most Played Albums

I will be skipping over any single track entries for this category.

15. Miyavi - SAMURAI SESSIONS vol.3 -Worlds Collide- - 24 scrobbles
14. Jay Park - The Road Less Traveled and The Saturdays - Chasing Lights - 25 scrobbles
13. DJ Snake - Carte Blanche (Deluxe) and Doja Cat - Amala (Deluxe Version) - 27 scrobbles
12. Exo - OBSESSION - THE 6TH ALBUM - 28 scrobbles
11. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You (Super Deluxe) and Loopy & nafla - Loofla - 29 scrobbles
10. Miyavi - SAMURAI SESSIONS vol.2, Tinashe - Joyride, and Birds of Prey: The Album - 30 scrobbles
9. Girugamesh - MUSIC, In This Moment - A Star-Crossed Wasteland & Ritual, and Katy B - Honey - 32 scrobbles
8. DJ Snake - Carte Blanche - 36 scrobbles
7. Jay Park - Everything You Wanted - 38 scrobbles
6. Tinashe - Songs for You - 43 scrobbles

5. Chanmina - NEVER GROW UP - 48 scrobbles
This 2019 release contained a lot of the songs that got me into Chanmina's music and made me a fan of hers. "I'm a Pop", "Girls", "Never Grow Up", and "Doctor" are some of my favorite tracks from the album, but overall, it is a very solid project.





4. Epik High - WE'VE DONE SOMETHING WONDERFUL - 52 scrobbles
This terrific trio never seems to fail in the talent department. Hearing them effortlessly trade off verses and seeing their chemistry continue to stay strong for so long is truly admirable. While I wasn't super crazy about their 2019 release sleepless in____, I really loved this 2017 album and I can't wait to own a physical copy of it. Some of my favorite tracks are "NO THANXXX", "BLEED", "MUNBAE-DONG", and "HERE COME THE REGRETS".

3. mabanua - BNA Soundtrack Complete Album - 56 scrobbles
I have mentioned BNA in one of my rare Monthly Favorites post. I was pleasantly surprised upon further watch how much I would love the soundtrack to this series. I don't pay attention to soundtracks too often, whether it be movie, series, or anime; but this one really stood out. I'm forever thankful that Spotify finally added it to their catalog, because there are some straight bangers on there!



2. The Weekend - Trilogy - 65 scrobbles
Upon the release of After Hours, many long time fans commented on some of The Weeknd's music videos and mentioned how it brings back some of his older thematic tones and musical atmosphere. Being the uneducated fan, I decided to take the time to go backwards and check out his older material. Some of my favorite tracks are "D.D.", "Initiation", "The Morning", and "House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls".



1. The Weekend - After Hours (Deluxe) - 70 scrobbles (152 when combined with "Heartless" & "Blinding Lights" single scrobbles)

Obviously, The Weeknd was gonna be in this spot with this 2020 release. I was very excited to see what was next for this mysterious and sometimes controversial artist and he did not disappoint! This is definitely a pure masterpiece that was gifted to us in 2020 and I still highly enjoy (and repeat it) to this day. Some of my favorite tracks are "Faith", "Too Late", "Nothing Compares", and "Save Your Tears".

Top 10 Most Played Tracks


10. The Weekend - After Hours (After Hours) and Tinashe - Perfect Crimes (Songs For You) - 14 scrobbles
9. Miyavi - No Thanks Ya feat. Chanmina (SAMURAI SEASSIONS vol. 2) and NCT 127 - Highway to Heaven - English Version (Highway to Heaven - English Version) - 15 scrobbles
8. (G)I-DLE - Hann (Alone) [Hann (Alone) - Single] and A.C.E - SAVAGE (UNDER COVER: THE MAD SQUAD) - 17 scrobbles
7. KARD - Dumb Litty (KARD 4TH Mini Album 'RED MOON') - 19 scrobbles
6. BTS - Black Swan (MAP OF THE SOUL: 7) and Everglow - Bon Bon Chocolat (ARRIVAL OF EVERGLOW) - 20 scrobbles


5. Everglow - LA DI DA (LA DI DA) - 23 scrobbles
The more music this group releases, the more I fall for them...and grow a bit frustrated because they don't release music that often. I instantly fell in love with this song upon release. It's loud, in your face with confidence, and super catchy. The EVERGLOW ladies look and sound fantastic and they deserve better! If you have not seen this high energy, gorgeous piece of work, then I urge you to check out the video above. You will not regret it.


4. Epik High - BLEED (WE'VE DONE SOMETHING WONDERFUL) - 27 scrobbles
This track has easily joined my most scrobbled tracks for Epik High on last.fm; joining tracks like "Fan" and "LESSON 5 (Timeline)". The beat, the pass off between each member, and the lyrics are so expertly put together and I can't get enough of it. Perhaps the whole tone of this song speaks to me on a personal level, but obviously it is just an outstanding track from this album.

3. Exo - Obsession (OBSESSION - THE 6TH ALBUM) - 28 scrobbles
Since switching over to purely "EXO" on last.fm, I was surprised to learn that this is my most played track since the dissolution of the two sub-units. It is joined by "Monster" and "Lightsaber" in their respective #2 and #3 spots. I instantly loved this song upon release of the music video and it sadly took me until 2022 to actually listen to the whole album. Perhaps that'll be for another day. For now I can say that this was a great choice to promote and open the album. It has a dark, almost sinister and inticing vibe to it that easliy makes the listener obsessed with this track. The video is also very good too!


2. The Weekend - Blinding Lights [After Hours (Super Deluxe)] - 43 scrobbles
The sequel video to the #1 most played track was just as addictive and amazing. Surprisingly, Maja really loves this song, but then again...I get it. It's one of The Weeknd's cleanest, most radio friendly songs. It has a glorious 80s synth pop flair to it and the lyrics are really enjoyable to sing along to. As someone who majored in film, I really enjoyed the artistic direction The Weeknd went with for this whole album. I don't think a lot of artists have concept albums or tell a full story throughout an album that much anymore.


1. The Weeknd - Heartless [After Hours (Super Deluxe)] - 59 scrobbles
The song that made the most hype for the After Hours release and the most played track of 2020. This was another song that I instantly fell in love with. It was playfully dark and confident and I loved every second of it! I remember when "Blinding Lights" was released and Angeline asked me which track I enjoyed more. It was a tough call, but something about that "toxic" side of The Weeknd always makes me weak. At the same time, I kinda felt those lyrics deep in my soul even though I've never had my heart broken; just the fact that I'm a "heartless" Capricorn trying to make it in this cruel world. In short, the track just goes hard for me and I can't resist it!

And there you have it! That's my music stats for 2020 and hopefully I'll have the 2021 music stats posted soon. I hope you enjoyed this sadly rare music post from me and I will try to get back into reviewing music releases to accompany fellow Muddy Cult Leader BlipMasta5's reviews and reactions.

No comments: