Wednesday, August 30, 2023

BM5's July 2023 Favorites

Favorite Live Performance
Party O'Clock - NMIXX


The double feature that was A Midsummer NMIXX Dream was quite a joy to experience. The release of the two songs had me singing it throughout the month. Both were constantly in rotation in my head space with no clear favorite between the two. Though, the live performance I share here made the winner apparent. The extra adlibbing and pure joy in their presentation made me fall so much deeper in love with the song. Even though I still would love to have them experiment more with their original Mixx Pop concept, the songs they've dropped of late are quite exceptional. The talent is undeniable!

Favorite Music Video
Cool with You - NewJeans


Despite me not having a clue the full context in my reaction video, this song and video have also been living rent free in my brain. The way they were able to convey the cupid scenario with the guest actors and the ladies of NewJeans around as muses was quite the delight. The song just has a pretty yet haunting quality, which is something they tapped into with Ditto last year, that just entrances me to no end. The only crime I can charge them with is refraining from making "Get Up" a full length song.

Favorite Music Discussion
Thank You, Girl Groups - Winterosy



As a girl group stan and boy group fan, this perfectly summarizes how I feel about the kpop scene of late. Yet, this actually looks a bit to past at how girl groups influenced the industry through the generations. This most certainly isn't to discredit the many boy groups who have made waves and paved the way to the international reach of kpop as a whole. I just believe this is a fantastic opinion piece to also give credence to the importance and innovation of women in the scene over the years, and why I personally love them so much.

Full July 2023 Favorites playlist: click here

No comments: