Sunday, May 26, 2013

Quick Movie Review


Hotel Transylvania (2012, USA) | Rating: 2/5

Ophelia gave a quick review of this movie, so here's a quick thought from my end. The movie was decent, but nothing I would highly recommend. I might've experienced some short inner chuckles, but I was far from rolling on the floor. It has a father-daughter element to it and the love interest is extremely dorky in a slightly obnoxious way. I would suggest The Croods over this movie for a more effective father-daughter dynamic that really engages a personal mindset.



Wreck-It Ralph (2012, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Ophelia has already mentioned this one as well, but it was on my list. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this one. I thought Silverman's voice wasn't too terrible for her character. Everyone seemed to fit naturally. I had a good feeling of nostalgia seeing all the familiar video game characters and the history of arcades. This is a refreshing kids flick that I think audiences of all ages can enjoy.



Resident Evil: Retribution (2012, USA) | Rating: 2/5

Yes, I still hear the controversy of whether this is a good or bad movie to represent the series, but I'm not sure if I mentioned that I have a vague understanding of the original plot line. I'm not a huge fan of the game. I'm a s Silent Hill fan. You can like both, but I just enjoy it more for various reasons. Anyway, I've seen all the Resident Evil live action movies and I enjoy them for the most part. I wasn't particularly fond of Resident Evil: Afterlife and the follow up is on the same boat. It was underwhelming, convoluted, and somewhat confusing. It seemed like there was a lot of fanservice pumped into this, especially in the character department. Anyway, Ada Wong was under used and just felt like a throwaway character which is a shame, but a couple other characters kinda felt like that in areas. I doubt this is the end, but the series is definitely falling apart.



Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013, USA) | Rating: 4/5

I contemplated doing a full length review on this movie, since it's another big summer movie and was also on my list to see, but I think I can sum everything quickly. After all this time, this movie was totally worth the wait, but unfortunately there's some controversy surrounding it pertaining to the end. I'm not a major Star Trek fan, but I'm familiar with the franchise and I can understand the fan gripes toward it. Nonetheless, I was surprised how smoothly two hours passed. The story was engaging and there was a good balance of action and dialogue to pass the time seeminglessly. The characters are more developed and I'm curious if there's another installment. The villain was great and the cinematography is astounding, except for those damn lens flares. Looking forward to more and what J.J Abrams has in store for Star Wars. If you want a full review, feel free to request as always.



Sinister (2012, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Another movie that Ophelia has covered, please check that out. I was pretty excited and a bit cautious about this movie, but it brought a refreshing look into suspense thrillers that I've missed so much in American cinema. Ethan Hawke's acting was convincing and you become really engrossed with everything going on with him. There was no mercy given to the characters which suits the title. There's minimal jump scares, lots of "on the edge of your seat" moments, and unsettling executions. I agree that they should've hid the demon a little more, but overall I was really pleased and might consider getting this myself. I'm hoping The Purge shows just as much promise with Hawke's talent this summer.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: