Monday, January 26, 2015

Quick Movie Review


Divergent (2014, USA) | Rating: 2/5

When this movie was in theaters, I really had no interest in it. It just felt like it was cashing in on the teen novel craze that series like Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games have brought to theaters. Also, the content just seemed too similar to what we already have as well. Since my mother said it was a really good movie and the preview for Insurgent looked pretty epic, I gave it a chance and honestly, I really couldn't get into it. The story seemed to drag, the romance lacked chemistry, and nothing seemed to pull me in. Doesn't help that I couldn't remember all the different groups or character names. I'm not sure if I will make Insurgent a theater priority or not, but this movie hasn't really convinced me to bother reading the books.



Enemy (2013, Canada) | Rating: 2/5

I believe I saw a preview for this in a movie I rented and it also has a doppelganger concept of sorts. Unlike Double, this movie might be a little harder to understand, even the ending is very wtf-ish compared to it. I do like Jake Gyllenhaal way more than Jesse Eisenberg, but the content is a bit of a mess. The initial motive of hearing about someone who looks exactly like you in a movie is a good and realistic catalyst; the actions that follow are a bit harder to grasp the logic of. Cat and mouse games are no stranger to these types of movies, but it takes skill and good writing to make it comprehensible for viewers to understand when both cat and mouse look exactly alike.



22 Jump Street (2014, USA) | Rating: 3/5

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum return as partner in this Jump Street sequel and I'm kinda surprised that this happened. I believe the movie was successful and I did surprisingly enjoy it. I must say...I enjoyed this sequel as well. The profanity is toned down a little and the jokes are still funny. Hill and Channing's chemistry is great and they provide plenty of entertainment throughout the whole movie. The end credits are hilarious as well and pokes fun of the movie itself while having some unexpected 21 Jump Street cameos. Although I wouldn't want a whole slue of Jump Street movies, I would recommend it if you need a good laugh.



Annie (2014, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Like most movies, this remake wasn't really necessary, but unlike a lot of remakes, this one was pretty good. I enjoyed the casting, the revisions to the original story, and the musical numbers. They picked some very talented actors for this one and the chemistry felt real. I know this movie has received a lot of criticisms and most of them are ridiculous. Most deal with the movie's existence or the obvious race change, but honestly, I think this version improved upon and updated the original Annie and I might have enjoyed it a little more too. So, I advise you ignore the negative criticisms and annoying bigots and check it out.



The Maze Runner (2014, USA) | Rating: 1.5/5

Similar to Divergent, I had no real interest in seeing this movie, but I watched it out of curiosity. Once again, I really couldn't get into the story. There was so much terminology to remember and the characters were very bland to me. Everything that was presented had been seen before in other movies that came out this year like Divergent, The Giver, and The Hunger Games. The only difference in this movie is that there is a lot more testosterone pumped into it. I really wasn't expecting much from this movie and, honestly, I fell asleep once the main character really entered the maze. I am curious whether or not this movie will receive the same treatment as Divergent and The Hunger Games in receiving a movie for each novel installment. Either way, I won't be watching them.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: