Friday, January 30, 2015

Review: Gone Girl


Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris
Directed by: David Fincher
Language: English
Rating: R
Running Time: 149 minutes


Before the massive announcement of a movie release, I saw this book circulate quite frequently. I asked a co-worker about it and she expressed her honest thoughts about it. I voluntarily asked about the ending, which she had a problem with, as I didn't originally plan on reading the book or seeing the movie. Once I saw the preview for the move with my mom and I, we were suddenly interested in it.


Amy Elliott Dunne has gone missing! Her husband Nick has no idea whether she's dead or alive, but he is desperate to find her along with Amy's parents. Nick is very cooperative with the police in their investigation, but all signs point to him as a guilty suspect in the case. But he's innocent, isn't he? Either way, the most important question is: where is Amy?

Where to start with this review? *sighs* Right from the start, the movie sutures its viewers in. I immediately felt locked into the story and distributing feelings for nearly every character. Pushing aside knowing the conclusion, I was curious how it led to it, which was a very tense and exciting ride. With great pacing, presentation, and action, it was easy to be immersed and have your mind trying to figure out the mystery.


Currently, I'm reading the novel, so I can't give a full comparison but I feel like the main casting choices were spot on. Ben Affleck gave me everything Nick demanded emotionally and he effectively created this emotional conflict you have with his character. Rosamund Pike also did a fantastic job in the same emotional department as his wife Amy. The scripting was on point which was done by the author herself Gillian Flynn. The minor exclusions with some scenes and detail emphasis was also well placed.

For those worried about Tyler Perry's appearance, fear not, I thought he did a good job. Neil Patrick Harris on the other hand...well, he fulfilled his "something is off with this guy" role, but the sex scene was awkward to watch. It didn't feel authentic and I think they could've tried filming that again. Also, a little warning, it might be awkward watching the sexual content with your parents, at least I felt that way with my mom. Sorry~

Overall, the movie is fantastic! So far with what I've read, it is a successful adaptation. Either medium will suck you into the universe and you're immediately curious what direction the story will pull you along. I recommend checking out both the movie and the book, if you have time.


Rating: 4.5/5


If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: