Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Top 5 Recommended Music Videos


"The Hills" by The Weeknd
2015 was a very good year for this little known artist and he was one of the best things that came out of the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. It took me a while to hop on The Weeknd bandwagon, but I'm here and I might review his most known album of that year at some point. For now, I want to talk about one of my favorite tracks from the album. Visually, the video reminds me of one of my all time favorite Kanye West videos, "Flashing Lights"--darkness with a little bit of sexy. Even the tone of the song has that haunting, seriousness that really lures me in. Sure, it doesn't show off his vocals that well compared to other songs, but it solidifies his mature, dark style with just enough emotion of despair and pain.



"Ridin Round" by Kali Uchis
I was introduced to this artist recently by a friend and I'm excited to check out more of her material, especially after seeing this video. Very good first impression. It really reminded me of early Rihanna meets M.I.A. (with maybe a hint of Amy Winehouse) and in my book, that's a pretty awesome combination. The video and song mixes Latin culture with indie pop sounds. I really feel like I'm part of the Colombian hustle life. There's so much confidence and sensuality exuding from this woman and it doesn't feel forced either. She feels like a real person you could run into and she'd be open to showing you around the neighborhood while also showing all the nightly hot spots. It's a very chill and fun song and will put a smile on your face easily.



"I'm About to Break You" by New Years Day
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to talking about another amazing female fronted rock band I came across on YouTube here. I don't know how that happened, but I do have a concert report queued up featuring them. Anyway, this is one of their latest music videos for their most recent album, Malevolence. One thing I've noticed when listening to this song is that they have definitely polished their signature sound even more. It's sexy, aggressive, and subtly playful. The vocals are just rough and raw enough, but still maintain control that it doesn't make your ears bleed. The visuals are very Mad Max: Fury Road inspired and certain elements remind me of In This Moment, but doesn't feel like a complete copycat. This definitely gets me pumped to listen to the new album!



"愛にいくよ" by AISHA
I believe I saw this video on my Facebook feed and it was quite refreshing to hear such talent. I've never been exposed to AISHA's music, but she gives me amazing vibes like BENI, JASMINE, and EMI EMARIE...oh, and lecca, which makes me happy. The video is very simplistic by only focusing on certain parts of her face or body as she sings, her running through the city, in a sparkly gown; and her in a bathtub with gold eyeshadow, but the simplicity works for this powerful R&B track. There's enough emotion exuding from the atmosphere and subtle gestures and acting given by AISHA. Perhaps, I should check out more of her music.



"NEVER EVER AGAIN" by GANGLION
I'm going to try really hard not to mention a certain band while I type about this music video. So far, every PV release I love these ladies more and more. They're very confident and comfortable with their rock style, both musically and visually. The visuals are just enough for this powerful rock tune. I love seeing Oni wandering around the warehouse dirty and determined. When the whole band is on the screen, or just watching their single shots, is simply satisfying. You can't help but smile as you see this amazing chemistry and spirit thrive through them all like it's a live show!

No comments: