Monday, June 25, 2018

BlipMasta5's Favorites From March & April 2017

All of us here are Muddy Cult have been quite busy for a while and with a packed schedule of life's little curve balls and time being the enemy, we have quite the back log of content sitting around. For the next few days, we'll be mixing up the content here with some things that missed the deadline in our latest addition of Monthly Favorites. Please enjoy!


Favorite Remix
I Don't Wanna Leave - Snow Tha Product



I LOVE Snow Tha Product soooo much and to see how Warner Bros barely pushed her last EP and practically shelved the second half was frustrating. Yet, that doesn't hold Snow back and this video is the proof. She's been continuing her tour life and came back with a fiery remix along with some more self-produced music videos to keep her fans happy. This particular joint right here, though, made me flip out!!! Watch and see for yourself...





Favorite Live Performance
Mural - Lupe Fiasco


Anybody who has listened to Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth knows about the incredible opening track "Mural". It is a masterful stream of consciousness full of spectacular wordplay and vivid imagery for 9 straight minutes. I stumbled upon this live footage this month as Lupe was touring before the release of Drogas Light. He was taking requests during his set and a fan asked for this behemoth of lyricism and Lupe obliged after asking for an extra $5 (lol). He then proceeds to perform it all with precision and never missing a beat, which is quite a feat without any back up vocals whatsoever. This confirmed why he's one of my hip hop idols as I could only watch in awe.

Favorite Anime Video Essay
Cowboy Bebop - The Meaning of Nothing by Channel Criswell



Anybody who's seen my top anime list knows that Cowboy Bebop is my #2 favorite. While diving deep into various video essay channels, two Bebop videos became my favorite. I share this one due to its length and approach from a more philosophical perspective. The other, if you're interested, is one from Super Eyepatch Wolf in his "Why You Should Watch" series. No matter what, anything that can get more people interested into this masterpiece of storytelling, I will support wholeheartedly mainly because I always "carry that weight".

Favorite March Movie
Get Out - Review by Nightmare Maven



As I finally got more time to see new movies, Get Out I would have to say is my favorite this month although King Kong: Skull Island would be a close second. Above is a review by a friend of mine who specializes in horror and thriller based content and her views gave me a second opinion that I found intriguing. I have also done a review myself and I hear there may be another Muddy Cult member who'll share thoughts on it as well. I certainly must say for the record that this movie was a fantastic piece of cinema that Jordan Peele can put in his filmography!

Favorite Music Video Essay
Kanye West - Gorgeous by Noisy Images



This is another gem I found in my video essay deep dive. Many of Noisy's videos were in my watch history, but this look into My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy's "Gorgeous" made me revisit the whole album again. Although I still regard MBDTF as the greatest Kanye West record, this song would certainly be one I would place in my top 10 favorites. This video really made me remember how fantastic of a song it is with Kanye's brash delivery with the nicest balance of braggadocio and social commentary. If you don't believe, I'll let this analysis video do the convincing.

Favorite Interview/Freestyle
CyHi the Prynce on Sway in the Morning



Sometimes reminders are needed to recall what should be attention to. This interview and in-studio performance was just that when it comes to Cyhi the Prynce. I've seen music videos and cyphers with this emcee and knew that this artist is someone to listen to. He's always been extremely gifted when it comes to wordplay and interlacing it with uplifting messages. Sway conducted a great interview that led to some nice conversation about where Cyhi is heading and inciting a exhilarating rendition of his new single, "New Africa", along with a stellar freestyle. Witness greatness from an emcee to be watched closely from here onward.


Favorite Comedy Sketch about K. Dot



Anybody who is aware of Kendrick's songwriting style can understand how accurate this comedic take on the process is. The album, DAMN., which I still need to write on has been a landmark in this year's music history. It did bring some very mantra's along with it. So with that, "Whatever happens on Earth, stays on Earth!"


Favorite Dance Video


Ian Eastwood is such a beast with choreography and the way he had the crew jamming to this old school joint was irresistible. I had to hit rewind on this about 5 times. If you dig the 70's groove, then this video will definitely have you vibing. Enjoy!!

Favorite Music Videos




After being patient for more new Alyssa Marie, she gave us a gift of this quick track of lyricism and finesse on her birthday. I now sit here waiting for even more and if this is your first taste, you're sure to be craving more like myself. For now, we'll put this on repeat along with her project, Louder Than Words.





Logic is another artist I highly anticipate to drop with beautiful music. The album, Everybody, led by the first single being the title track made me intrigued. Yet when Logic released the second single, "Black SpiderMan" with this music video, I knew I needed the album in my life. The intended message of the project looks to be another touching on much needed issues to be discussed. The overall theme of equality makes this something to look forward to.





When trying to debate between the videos for "Humble." and "DNA.", it was a tough choice. Both music videos have cool messages in them and I have to give "Humble." the point when it comes to a more visually appealing delivery. "DNA." though has freaking Don Cheadle "rapping" his behind off and has the better song attached. All I know is that Kung Fu Kenny is one I don't want to go against, especially with his "ninjas" backing him up.





If you guys read my Loverboy review, then you would know that "Not Winning" was my favorite track off of the project. This month, Pryde and his team dropped three music videos, the other two being "West End Rebound" & "Prove Me Wrong". Both of those are very complimentary to the songs, but they just couldn't beat out my favoritism for the final track of the EP. Also the choice to let the last words of the song to sit acapella in the midst of simply background noise was quite appropriate. Props, and please give us more after your coming performance in May because I don't see a chance of you not winning!

No comments: