Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Two March Movie Reviews (2017)

 Get Out (2017, USA)
Genre: Suspense/Thriller

Get Out has been on my "to-watch" list ever since the first trailer came out. It seemed like a very compelling premise & the fact that it was written and directed by comedian Jordan Peele made me curious. After knowing that Keanu and the success of the Key & Peele series, I was intrigued by Peele's shift to a genre that can easily be ruined by too many laughs. Eventually, the critical praises it began to garner had me nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype. Therefore, I went into the theater with caution.

What I beheld was a plot that had its small predictable moments and occasional unexpected twists. The dialogue was rather natural in the world it's built upon and brings to mind some racially-centric social issues. The thing is, the race relations in the film at first lead you to believe that discrimination is going be the theme, so an open mind can allow viewers to notice the true angle of the tale. The actors in this film really deliver very real characters and the leads, Daniel Kaluuya & Allison Williams, truly shine in their performances. Peele didn't forget to balance the tension with some laughs from who I'm sure will be a favorite, Lil Rel Howery, though.

I must agree that this was quite a fantastic film. Although you may have to suspend your disbelief a little bit with how the hypnosis affects characters, you can buy into the drama being played out on the screen. If you dig psychological thrillers, I can certainly recommend giving this one a watch in theaters. Since it's not necessarily a horror film, I can suggest seeing it on your own or with friends. I just don't hope it won't make my fellow black folk paranoid around those of Caucasian descent.

Logan (2017, USA)
Genre: Action/Drama

Growing up with the X-Men movies, I grew to bandwagon with Wolverine fans until my critical eye became more mature. X-Men Origins: Wolverine marked where I finally realized that they were entertaining movies, but not technical greats in the screenwriting department. Yet, being such a bandwagon fan led me to seeing the movies to follow in hopes of improvement. I was met with little improvements, but the final film's trailer gave me the most hope.

Logan was created to have all the grit that Wolverine's comic history is supposed to bring & they delivered that with the R-Rated aimed story. The action was as gruesome as necessary and blood-pumping as anticipating. If we put the storyline into question, though, I would say that missed a few marks to equate it to a B ranking. A few motivations seemed a little less worthy of its conviction and some parts I feel dragged too long. Despite that, the plot was rather well done and portrayed well by the actors involved. Dafne Keen, did a good job in action and body language, but the script definitely left her dialogue with more to be desired. The X-Men veterans Patrick Stewart & Hugh Jackman certainly brought their A-game as their chemistry was as great as ever.

In the superhero genre, I can say with confidence that this is a welcome addition to the collection. It's, in my opinion, the best solo Wolverine movie in the franchise because I feel it does the best to humanize this force to be reckon with. That's what makes a fantastic superhero movie in my mind, when you can root for the hero and still feel that you can relate to such extraordinary beings in the process. If you like these types of movies, I couldn't recommend it higher. Just be aware that the R rating is correct as the gore and language is very present. Hugh Jackman can finally put away his claws for good, and after this film I believe it's well deserved.

No comments: