Saturday, September 7, 2019

BM5's August 2019 Favorites

Favorite Live Performance
Lizzo - Tiny Desk Concert


Lizzo has been a name I've been seeing pop up here and there for about a year and a half. Finally, "Truth Hurts" permeated my ears due to it's prevalence these days. Therefore when I saw a family member share this Tiny Desk performance, I figured I better give it a chance. I'm so glad that I did, because I truly got to see the extent of Lizzo's talent. She's honestly going to be someone we all will be praising as one of the great new talents. Her gospel, R&B, and hip hop blend is quite a spectacle and what a showcase this is, including her lovable personality. Check it out!

Favorite Anime Discussion
Why You Should Be Watching Shojo Anime - Get in the Robot


I am a huge advocate of this message! For many years, I've been slightly embarrassed to admit that I'm a fan of a good amount of Shojo shows. Lately though, I've shed that shame and realized that these are great shows and I have absolutely no reason to think it's wrong to love them. This is all explained so succinctly in the video above. This will now be my reference point to anyone who wants to come after me and my shojo love!

Favorite Music Discussion
The Rise of Asian Rap Culture - VICE Asia


With the emergence of 88 Rising and other Asian talents, I've been keeping a very curious eye on the scene and its place in popular culture. It seems that it's been noticed by the culture itself as well with this mini-doc. Are we getting to a point where Asians can truly be widely accepted in the greater rap culture or will they still be a pocket in the landscape, much like the earlier days of YouTube (i.e. Timothy DeLaGhetto, Lil Crazed, D-Pryde, Dumbfoundead, & more.) I know that there's certainly great hip hop being created from these voices and I look forward to their stories being shared.

Favorite Interview
Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott - Sway in the Morning


In lieu of this ICON winning the MTV Vanguard award, Missy Elliott went to Sway's Universe for an interview. They really made sure to give her her flowers and acknowledge that she is one of the greatest of all time. She still remains to be extremely humble and in this interview, she still is able to realize how much she has contributed to not only hip hop, but pop culture as a whole! Hear some of the tidbits of what led to her creating her legacy and what she plans for the future, including her new EP, Iconology.

Full August 2019 Favorites Playlist: click here

No comments: