Saturday, September 21, 2019

Book Review: Mystery Writers of America Presents the Mystery Box



Mystery Writers of America Presents the Mystery Box by Brad Meltzer | Published: 2013

This is not the type of book I was expecting it to be. With a cover like that, my eyes ignored the “mystery writers” and just assumed “horror writers” and my brain was confused when there wasn’t a lot of scary bits at first.

You get my confusion, right? I know that Mystery is written in a huge white super-prominent font but c’mon. The rest looks like a blood soaked coffin full of terror.

There were some stellar stories in here and some that were indeed creepy (like Heirloom by Joseph Finder). Mad Blood by S.W. Hubbard stayed with me for a while after I read it. My favorite was The Very Private Detectress. There was such a lovely twist at the end and I would read a whole series about these characters (Pretty please, Catherine Mambretti!?!?!?!)

The last story is the longest one, or it felt like it with all the annotations. It gets sillier and more and more over the top and was a good ending to the collection.

I listened to this while I played my candy games at night before bed and the variety of voice actors was nice. The only one that didn’t work so well was the last story because of the excessive use of annotations, but it made for an even wilder story as a whole.

No comments: