Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Quick Anime Review


Lu Over the Wall (2017) | Rating: 3.5/5

Every now and then my job receives an anime movie that I've never heard of that sounds intriguing and this was one of them. It took me a little while to get used to this unique art style, but as time went on I've coincidentally seen more Masaaki Yuasa movies and I've grown accostumed to his distinct animation style. This film is about a boy and his band that find a very strange fish-like girl who is intrigued by their music. She soon becomes part of their musical endeavors, but things began to shift in their little town. I...enjoyed this movie! It was fun, humoruous, and the music was kinda catchy. I enjoyed the character interactions, the merfolk lore around the town, and the adventures the cast had to go through to set things right. This is a great watch for families with small kids, because it is very vivid and the music is pretty good. Of course, anyone of any age can enjoy this movie.


The Promised Neverland (2019) | Rating: 4/5

I know TheAnimeMan had a few issues with this show and I can't really respond to those thoughts as I've not read the manga...yet, but what I can say is that I really, really enjoyed this series! I acknowledge that this has a problematic character in it and many people have pointed out that Sister Krone has not aged well. When she did pop up, I did have a not so favorable reaction to her, but continued onward with this horrific story. I absolutely enjoyed this anime! It seems like horror stories are few and far between and this one is definitely a gem. From the characters to the twist and turns in the story, I was easily hooked. When I saw it got renewed for a second season [no surprise there], I was very excited, but now hearing that it's not so great...I'm being cautious with my excitement. Nonetheless, I will be watching it and even jump into the manga series later.


Violet Evergarden (2018) | Rating: 5/5

I can confidently say that many anime fans had this series as their favorite in 2018. The animation was breathtaking, the characters and story are well written, and the soundtrack really pushed that emotional button extra hard. I'm not much of a cryer, but there were definitely an episode or two I watched at work that almost got me sobbing in public...even when I knew what was about to happen. It was truly a breath of fresh air to see such a modern masterpiece among the usual suspects in the anime sphere sweep fans away with top tier quality. I am very much looking forward to delving into the movie!



Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? (2017) | Rating: 2.5/5

I'm not sure if this is one movie I streamed on Discord or something that was about to leave Hoopla. There was definitely a reason I pushed forward to see this earlier than I wanted and I'm kinda glad I got this out of the way. I mostly heard about this movie when it had a limited release in theaters. At the time, I was a novice to seeking out anime in theater and, honestly, the story wasn't super interesting to me. I believe there were moderate comments about the movie and I mostly agree. This wasn't anything special to run to the theaters for, but it was a decent summer season watch.


If it's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord (2019) | Rating: 2.5/5

I want to say that this was a challenge entry from last year. This usually wouldn't be something I would watch, but I think a YouTuber I'm subscribed to mentioned this series and made it sound worth my time. Initially, I thought it was another fantasy isekai, but it wasn't. It was a mostly wholesome fantasy adventure with a demon girl and a traveler who adopts her. I must admit this anime has a lot of charm and sweetness. There were moments where I wanted to reach into the screen and hug Latina; my heart really went out to her. By the end of the series, I felt a bit unsatisfied and a little disappointed. The show definitely had a lot of potential to be better, but it definitely wasn't that bad for sure!

If there's something you want me to review, check out Muddy Cult's Patreon on how to submit requests.

No comments: