Saturday, September 30, 2023

BM5's August 2023 Favorites

Favorite Music Video
On My Mama - Victoria Monet


The release of this song had me giddy. Hearing Victoria again and over a track sampling "I Look Good" by Chalie Boy, was such a vibe. The throwback feels along with the promotion through social media asking fans to get their step teams and fraternities/sororities to choreograph to it. Then this music video dropped and I was flabbergasted. The styling, the choreo, the overall attitude on display made me so elated I couldn't stop smiling and pressing replay. PLEASE hit play!

Favorite Kpop Discussion
How Does NewJeans Use English? - Ben Atmos


I had this video pop up in my recommended feed and was intrigued. As a guy who occasionally likes looking up English speaking idol compilations, (which explains my algorithm,) this was some perfect content. NewJeans is quite an interesting group being so young with a big international fan base, along with 2 Australian members. Seeing how they communicate with each other is quite interesting as languages intersect and blend in ways that are quite peculiar for those who aren't around many multilinguistic people. Yet, this is broken down quite nicely in an easy to understand manner. Hopefully, you get some entertainment out of it, as did I.

Favorite Cultural Discussion
Bonding or Bullying? A Deep Dive into Roasting Culture - COLORMIND.


Boy, if you don't get your uncultured, surface-level mind over here! This video right here was something that I had to share. Growing up in African-American communities, roasting has become quite a pastime. Even if they're not solely in these sectors of society, it's quite ubiquitous and known to be present there as something we bond through. Though, there's a lot to ponder over with its presence. What are the positives, negatives, origins, reach? This video truly dives into it ways that hit home for me in a lot of ways. Maybe it can be enlightening to you.

Full August 2023 Favorites playlist: click here

No comments: