Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quick Movie Review


The Strangers (2008, USA) | Rating: 3/5


Adding to the consistent stream of bad horror movies in America, this film is borderline bad. The storyline caught my attention and I dragged my friends to see it. I normally don't get scared and the friends I went with normally don't either, but we clung to each other a lot and one of them wanted to leave the theater a few times like a few movie goers. The movie used suspense to their advantage and most times when you suspect something to happen, it doesn't, then catches you off guard with the killers' attacks. The dialogue was lacking a lot, the character development was limited, and the conclusion left questions open in the air.



Speed Racer (2008, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5


I'll admit that I wasn't expecting for this to be a box office hit due to its highly anticipated competitors "The Hulk", "Iron Man", and "Dark Knight" and I mostly rushed to see it because of Rain. I used to be a fan of the old "Speed Racer" cartoon when they aired it on Nickelodeon. The storyline pretty much followed the classic TV show and the actors did a very good job performing each memorable character. The visuals were beyond stunning, balancing computer graphics and real life products then pumping the film with extra vivid color to add intensity to the pace of the movie. Although the ending is pretty cliché, "Speed Racer" fans can be proud of the movie.



Visitor Q [Bijitâ Q] (2001, Japan) | Rating: 2.5/5


I was curious to watch this film because (1) it was directed by the great Takashi Miike and I'm a fan of his work and (2) the storyline sounded very interesting. Plus, controversy intrigues me. The movie was executed well and the format was different from other movies he's done that I've previously viewed. There is a lot of stomach churning moments such as prostitution, drugs, incest, lactating, bullying, and necrophilia. Not many movies disgust me, but this is one of them. The movie is very strange and so far it's my least favorite from Takashi. Take caution before watching this film.



Eternal Summer [Sheng xia guang nian] (2006, Taiwan) | Rating: 1.5/5


I rented this movie a while ago when we used to have a Hasting's and I vaguely remember all the details of the movie. The storyline is what convinced me to rent the movie and it was pretty interesting. It kept my attention, even though a certain song got overused throughout the whole movie and the main female character was a bit annoying. The movie is good if you're easily pleased by predictable endings in this crazy little love triangle. Somewhere toward the end of the movie, I got kinda bored and the ending kinda upset me with the main characters not completely telling each other everything. So, if you want a cheesy homosexual movie with a mediocre happy ending, then this is your movie.

No comments: