Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quick Movie Review


Exte: Hair Extensions [Ekusute] (2007, Japan) | Rating: 4/5


I was a little hesitant on buying the movie, because I never watched it, but a reliable friend enjoyed it and it was directed by the great Sion Sono. Comparing this to his previous works of "Suicide Club" and "Strange Circus", this movie seems a little lighter in plot line and almost comical. The characters are interesting and definitely make you have an opinion of them and the story moves smoothly with the hair admirer and aspiring hair stylist's agendas colliding into a bizarre climax and a satisfying conclusion.



Tokyo Tower (2005, Japan) | Rating: 2.5/5


I must admit the only reason I watched this movie was for Jun Matsumoto, but the storyline gave me more of an initiative to watch it. Junichi Okada did a very good job with Matsumoto of portraying young men interested in older women as well as best friends. The story is very sweet and has all the right twists and turns for Asian romance lovers, and possibly Jun fans, but for me, it was definitely not my cup of tea. For a movie that doesn't appeal to a genre I normally don't watch, it was pretty decent.



Arang (2006, South Korea) | Rating: 1.5/5


Recommended by a couple online friends, I decided to watch it with one of my friends last year. Honestly, I think I've become a little picky about ghost movies, especially Asian ones. The storyline didn't interest me that much, but it was executed in a somewhat interesting set up that raised questions in the viewer's mind. Unfortunately, the characters didn't draw me in and I became bored toward the middle. Once the climax point hit, my interest peaked, as well as my friend's, and I ended up enjoying the ending moreso than the rest of the movie leading up to it.



Tale of Two Sisters [Janghwa, Hongryeon] (2003, South Korea) | Rating: 4.5/5


My friend (and co-host, if you watch our online show) brought this movie to me one day and let me borrow it for a few days afterward. I think I watched it at least three times to get a full grasp of everything that happened and yet curiosity still lingered. This is a movie you definitely have to keep your focus on at all times or you'll miss some important pieces to figuring out the madness between these two girls and the house they're living in. The story is pure genius and it was treated like a true masterpiece by the director. It's a shame the U.S. wanted to recreate something simply untouchable.

No comments: