Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Quick Anime Review


Kuroshitsuji (2008) | Rating: 4/5


I'm still working on this series, but so far, I'm very in love with it. It has a bit of mystery, action, comedy, and a sprinkle of playful shounen-ai. I've become fond of Sebastian, who is "one hell of a butler" and I've gotten to the point I want a little collectible figure of him to join my shelf. I also like the always happy Tanaka-san, who always brings laughter to any scene he's in. Recently became a fan of Grell Sutcliff who brings comedy as well to serious situations. If you enjoy somewhat comical mysteries with demons, a stoic child, and death reapers then this is the series for you!



Shugo Chara! (2007) | Rating: 3/5


I'm still working on this lengthy series also and struggling to find a good place to watch the rest, aside from crunchyroll. It's a very cutesy series like "DiGi Charat" with some good life lessons if believing in yourself. Let your inner egg be born and live out your dreams. Without being overly cute, the series throws in your standard comedy and a little drama to keep you hook and interested for more adventures with Amu. Some areas of the series are a bit dark especially with dealing with the enemies or semi-enemies, depending on how you want to view certain characters.



Gun x Sword (2005) | Rating: 3.5/5


I started this series for an anime lover that comes by my job occasionally looking for new things to watch. I was a little hesitant since it didn't seem like a series I would enjoy. It had setting elements similar to "Trigun" in a way but with armor, as they refer to the machinery used by the main character Van in battles. It's a very action packed, dramatic yet comedic series that kept me wanting more. I've become attached to a few characters like Van, Wendy, and Carmen. If you like swordsmen, revenge, visually stimulating strong female characters, and "armors", then you should give this series a try.



The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006) | Rating: 4/5


Like "Nerima Daikon Brothers", I did not know what to expect from this series, but just like the anime I mentioned before there were a lot of surprises that I didn't expect from the series. It's a mixture of supernatural, comedy, and some perverted moments. It's also a little cutesy but not unnaturally so to throw off the real storyline. As I continued to watch, I had no idea what to expect in future episodes. All I knew was that I wanted to continue digging further into the not so typical high school series.



Coyote Ragtime Show (2006) | Rating: 3/5


I started watching this for the same reason as "Gun x Sword" and ended up enjoying it. At first, it kinda reminded me of "Cowboy Bebop" in a "Trigun" setting. For those who don't know what that is, it's like a space bounty hunter/criminal in a slight futuristic western scene. This is more of an action comedy like "Trigun" & "Gun x Sword". They have their high action moments, low dramatic scenes, and a few laughs here and there. It's not quite addicting but it is a pretty decent series.



Gravitation (2000) | Rating: 3/5


A fairly old series that most people know of, especially shounen-ai fans. I finally got to finish up the series after my best friend presented it to me years ago. It has its cheesy lovey dovey moments that you can't help but adore and of course the ever hanging conflict of the main couple: Shuichi & Yuki. There were a few things I expected of the character relationships that didn't come true, but I'm happy they didn't. It's a pretty decent shounen-ai to start off with for newcomers of the drama because it's light, comical, and focuses on the main plot of a band trying to make it big. Unlike some shounen-ai series that turn the main plot into a sub-plot and put way too much focus on the romance.

No comments: