Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Quick Movie Review


Clockwork Orange (1971, USA) | Rating: 3/5


One of those "must-see classics" true movie buffs bring up in conversations. I've heard a few things about this movie and how people match it up with Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's a very abstract piece of work that majority of viewers have a hard time translating completely. I'm curious if Europeans even understand it. After viewing it and reading snippets of what people had to say about it, I can get the premise of the movie, but to pick at points in the movie I cannot begin. It's definitely thought provoking [or simply mindfucking] and worth seeing, even if you're not the stereotypical "hipster".



Ashes of Time Redux (1994, Hong Kong) | Rating: 2/5


I'm kinda picky about Asian warrior/fight movies. It can be hit or miss and, sadly, this was a miss. It was more of a tangled romantic story with spurts of fight scenes. It was a little hard for me to follow and, in short, wasn't as interesting as I thought it was going to be. On the upside, I did like the cinematography!



Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5


The latest installment of everyone's favorite pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow. I was a little hesitant on seeing it, since Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley wasn't part of it, but I'm glad I did! It was still action packed, comical, and intriguing. They kept everything from the previous movies in this one and made it more amusing. The new characters made me forget Bloom and Knightley and Mr. Depp remains the most entertaining pirate I have ever seen.



Green Hornet (2011, USA) | Rating: 2/5


I wasn't expecting anything amazing about this movie, so I took it very lightly upon viewing. I also vaguely remember the show as I've seen a few episodes as a kid, so I can't clearly compare the two. Main reason I wanted to see this movie: Jay Chou. It's expected for Seth Rogan to be funny, but Jay also added to the comedy. The action sequences were weak and cliched, but I thought it had a stronger comedic component overall.

No comments: