Monday, September 1, 2014

Quick Movie Review


Vampire Academy (2014, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

I wasn't sure if I wanted to review this or not. I definitely wanted people to check it out as I've never heard anyone talk about the movie anywhere. It's nothing spectacular in the least, but it was pretty entertaining and different from Twilight when it comes to vampires. It's less melodramatic, has better acting, and has a clearer, more serious take on vampires while tying together typical high school issues. They also poke fun of Twilight. I've never read any of the books and this movie didn't quite persuade me to do so yet, but it would be nice to have a sequel for sure. Whether it receives that or not, I'm kinda doubting since there's been zero hype surrounding it, at least in my circle. The story is pretty simple and easy to get into and the characters are pretty likable.



Gravity (2013, USA) | Rating: 5/5

I believe this was the last of the requested movies and I honestly was surprised how stunning and anxiety ridden this movie was. It was even more surprising that it was a short movie, which made me very happy. I must admit while watching this I don't think I took a breath until the very end when the credits were rolling. There's a minimal cast with very little dialogue and background music. The movie really does an amazing job of pulling you into absolute isolation with our main character played by Sandra Bullock. Since there was minimal dialogue, I believe it takes a lot of talent and awareness to pull off a wide range of emotion through not only your face, but your body. I highly recommend this movie. It has amazing visuals, instantly latches you into the story, and makes you feel like you're part of the chaos.



What Maisie Knew (2013, USA) | Rating: 4.5/5

I'm sure I'll mention this again, but my current eye candy right now is Alexander Skarsgård. The reason I bring this is because I saw him on the cover and I was ready to set up a little marathon of the sixth season of True Blood. Another reason I picked this movie up is because I heard some good things about it at my workplace. I have never heard of this movie and I had no idea what it was about. For some reason, I thought it was about a little girl witnessing a murder or something traumatizing, but it's a simple story about a married couple that has divorced and is raising their child on their own appropriate time while solidifying their new relationships. This story is very unique, in my opinion, because it's seen through the eyes of the daughter Maisie. There is definitely a lot of emotions you're going to be feeling while watching this movie.



You're Next (2011, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Most horror movies that I avoid from in theaters usually range from meh to terrible. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this one as it looked like a less interesting and full of jump scares version of The Strangers. Surprise, surprise! It did remind me of that movie and it actually wasn't that bad. It went a totally different direction than I thought. It's not completely a home invasion movie, I'm not sure if that's a spoiler or not, but a lot of places refer this as a home invasion movie which is partly true. There's really more to it, once you watch it. Of course, I went into this movie with pretty low expectations. I mean, come on, animal masks? When the movie began, I was still pretty skeptical and was expecting the worse, but once the first kill happened, the movie got a lot more interesting and not because of the violence either. I guess it was a good thing that the description was a bit deceptive.



Rosemary's Baby (1968, USA) | Rating: 4/5

As a horror movie fan, I try to get a little taste of the classics from time to time. I've been wanting to see this movie for quite some time, since I've seen it on plenty of lists and even mentioned by a friend or two. I talked to my mom about it and she gave me her reaction when she saw it and how others around her felt about it as well. I know the younger crowd would be skeptical of old horror movies, or just old movies in general, but I think it's good for them to experience a part of cinematic history and how the present is inspired by it. Despite this movie being rather lengthy and giving my flashbacks of the occasional restlessness I felt when watching Vertigo, I was definitely invested in the characters, especially the movie's protagonist Rosemary. It's easy to point out the differences from past and present, but I still found it very enjoyable and relevant to present day. I did find myself getting frustrated every now and then with her decisions, but I think that's part of the horror movie experience. Although the pacing may be perceived as slow, it does provide good build-up and a somewhat unpredictable pay off. For all the horror movie lovers, I highly recommend this one, especially if you're into demonic possession genre.



If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: