Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Quick Anime Review


K (2012) | Rating: 3.5/5

Sometimes my interest in a series is because of cosplay and this one was inspired by the wonderfully talented and handsome KANAME☆. I also heard a couple positive comments about the series as well. I must admit that it took me a while to get into the series, but once it started to pick up with the mystery portion with our silver haired main character, I became a little more invested. The other plot with the kings rivalry was...a little confusing, like some bits of information are missing or something. Perhaps the movie and/or second season will fill in the gaps. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the mystery, action, and art very much. I'm looking forward to delving more into this universe and learning more about the characters. Lastly, both the sub and dub are quite enjoyable.



Show By Rock!! (2015) | Rating: 3/5

Curiosity brought me to this Sanrio anime and I ended up enjoying this cute musical series. It's another series that took a little while to get into, but mostly I had to adjust to the cuteness and the music anime genre. I wasn't super into the main character, but the supporting characters are what kept me watching. The story is very simple; having a threat of a masked evil music producer threatening popular acts. There were some small details in the story I wish the series expanded upon like Rom and Shuuzou's past relationship and maybe even seeing more background on the Plasmagica's members. Otherwise, it was quite enjoyable and suitable for any age.



Aoharu x Kikanjuu (2015) | Rating: 4/5

Thanks to anime YouTuber Gigguk, I decided to bend the rules of my anime rotation and watch more than one new series at a time. It was an overwhelming experience that I don't completely regret, but I'd rather not do it again. Some of the series that Gigguk mentioned I decided to check out and this is one of them. The rest will most likely be mentioned in the next quick anime review. Upon watching the first episode, I was worried that this would be another rehash of Ouran High School Host Club, but fortunately the potential expensive catalyst was not the driving point for these characters to come together and stay together. No! The focus of this show is the relationship of our main character Hotaru and the ups and downs of being part of Toy Gun Gun. The series' strongest point is its characters, which I absolutely loved watching, especially when they're interacting out of the games. I'm really hoping that there will be second season in the works, otherwise I'll have to get my Yukki fix through the manga.



Imawa no Kuni no Alice (2014) | Rating: 4.5/5

This was an absolutely agonizing OVA for non-Japanese speakers to endure. Not because the show is terrible, because it is by far anything of that nature. No, no, it took forever for the final episode to be subbed in English. It's unfortunate that this OVA was only 3 episodes long, because I was easily addicted to this violent game. I really enjoy concepts like this quite a bit and it was easy to get hooked into Alice and his friends in this strange world of cruel survival games. Each episode definitely leaves you wanting more and more and I hope that by chance it gets picked up as a full series and/or they decide to import the manga series to America. It is dark, suspenseful, and full of action that I cautiously recommend this OVA to those who enjoy survival games.



Hunter x Hunter (2011) | Rating: 4.5/5

I've been going back and forth on whether to do a full length review or a short one. For now, this quick review will have to suffice. A very good friend of mine suggested I watch this 2011 adaptation, so I made a deal with her that after reaching episode 200 of Detective Conan I would start this series. Now, the reason I'm choosing to write something short for the time being is because it is a lengthy series with tons of positive things, story, and characters to cover. The characters are great, whether they're major or minor to the story arcs; the art is vibrant and colorful, the story is extremely entertaining, addicting, and very well written; and overall, it's just one of those rare series you won't get tired of even with its long length. In fact, I was sad when I reached the final episode, so I'm hoping the creator doesn't spend too much time gaming and he gets back into creating more content for the anime to move forward. This series is great for all ages as it has the fun, uplifting moments that would make a child joyfully laugh and those serious, dark moments that would make an adult think deeply and possibly even cry over. This series has easily moved up into my top ten favorite anime series of all time and I'm looking forward to delving into more of it.


If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: