Sunday, October 21, 2018

BlipMasta5's August & September 2018 Favorites

Favorite Viral Video
Mooo! - Doja Cat


I've slowly become familiar with Doja Cat this month and it started with a break down of her song, "Go To Town". I soon realized that she has a fun personality who is open with her sexuality and presents it with wit. Yet, this viral video is what made me do the deep dive. If you haven't seen it yet, this really puts her carefree nature on display! It's pure fun with a bit of smart humor. As I dug deeper into her catalog, she uses that skill to talk about love, sex, and fun in a number of ways musically. If you're not offended by "crass" talk, I'd advise giving her album, Amala, a listen.



Favorite Cover Video
In My Feelings - Ten Second Songs


Kiki, do you love me? I'm sure many have heard this question a million times by now. But, have you heard it in a myriad of styles? I've been following Anthony Vincent of Ten Second Songs for a while and to see him tackle this song was a pleasure. He truly is a talented vocalist and he put a lot of work into even switching up his typical styles' presentation as well. Give this a watch and be amazed!

Favorite Live Performance
Roses in the Dark - Ella Jet & Future Soul


Ella Jet & Future Soul is a local band in St. Pete, FL that I've become a fan a year or two ago. I'm patiently awaiting their project to come tentatively before the end of 2018. Still they are premiering new songs after I've seen that they've done a bit of recording already. This song is another more upbeat tune with a tempo change in the song structure. This shows their influence of Hiatus Kaiyote quite a bit as their approach to music does ride the lines of neo-soul. I highly recommend this to any music lovers and tell you to stay tuned to them from here on, if you dig it.

Favorite Dance Video
God is a Woman - Jojo Gomez


It wouldn't be a favorites list without some dancing. With the release of Sweetener, Ariana Grande's "God is a Woman" has been a standout single. The VMA performance was astounding along with the breathtaking music video. I would be remiss to not mention what others have done with this song, though. Jojo Gomez is a choreographer I check on here and there, and this piece stood out to me. Therefore, I share this routine with you to enjoy as I have.



Favorite Music Video
Feels Like Summer - Childish Gambino


What can be said about Childish Gambino that I haven't expressed yet? I love his artistry and it extends to this track from his Summer Pack EP. This was my favorite of the two with its social commentary and inescapable groove. His vocals all over the song is simply blissful over the instrumental. The fact that the music video neatly packs a lot of the hip hop culture in one place as the messages need to be heard and understood by them along with the world they inhabit is needed. Beautifully done animated video.

Favorite Live Performance
NPR's Tiny Desk - Tech N9ne & Krizz Kaliko


Tech N9ne is another artist that I have undying love for, so to discover that he got on one of my favorite performance platforms was exciting! Tech has always been an incredible performer (despite me not seeing him live, yet) and his partnership with Krizz is always remarkable. The proof is in the pudding above with some of the best of Tech's recent discography being demonstrated. This is the art of an emcee.

Favorite Music Discussion
Lupe Fiasco's Resurrection - The Big Discussion


My favorite album to come out this month is most likely Lupe Fiasco's Drogas Wave. This breakdown from The Company Man, Justin Hunte, was expertly presented as expected since he, too, is a hip hop head with a love of Lupe's depth. Lupe is a truly an artisan with his own creative take on concept albums that can challenge new listeners who don't want to do the digging. Yet, it's the complexity of these concepts that when first hinted at can get you lost in the worlds Lupe create. This is a great entry point to ease someone into why this emcee is truly a treasure, if not Lupe's penchant for making dense concepts so catchy.

Favorite Dance Video
Alabama Shake's Over My Head - Alisa & Joseph


I first followed Alisa after seeing her in a couple of Nailcuttahz routines with Lando Wilkins choreo. Soon I learned that Alisa would dive into choreography herself and often with her boyfriend Joseph. This was a less hip hop approach which added some nice variety in my dance video timeline, so to speak. I was ecstatic to find that the duo were competing in this year's season of World of Dance although they didn't end up winning the competition. Fortunately, that allowed them the time to release a new set piece for the channel with this gem. I hope you like it as much as I do!

No comments: