Friday, April 15, 2011

T.O.P "Turn It Up" vs. NassuN & G.O. "O-IWI-O"

There's obviously a reason why I don't do music video reviews. I don't know how they work, therefore it is a little difficult to critique. Despite that small downfall, I'm doing another comparison for your and my amusement. Like the previous music comparisons, I'm gonna break it down into parts, but I'm changing it a little.




Lyrics
I'm going with the obvious on this one. To me, this is a song of seduction and a little ego boost for Mr. T.O.P. He talks about the things he has and what he brings to the table yada yada yada. Then he further proceeds on telling the subject of the song how they feel and how they're getting pulled into this alluring song. Not only does he want to seduce, but he also wants you to pay attention to the smooth flow that is penetrating your ears [like sweet, warm honey 8D].

Music
Pushing all sickening thoughts aside. The music is pretty simple. You have bass, drums, and electro-hip-hop all fused together in one perfect package. It's easy to get stuck in your head to the point you're tapping this tune on a table and nodding your head unconsciously.

Visual Content
So, we have T.O.P. Of course! But we have many different sides to him to enjoy. Sleek rapper, cliche classic rap pimp, cozy comfy, dressy casual, throwback Bond, eclectic rebel, and sophisticated actor. Try to catch 'em all! Aside from him, we have one of the most important elements to every rap video: women! There are plenty of them. From mere accessories to encouragement tools for dorky dances, there are a lot of women to fit the song's lyrics. We also have various possession ranging from Dom Perignon to designer bags and even the Be@rbrick obsession. There's a lot to flaunt! We even have some cameo animal appearances to represent manliness (the dog) and don't forget the "monkey magic". With all of these elements, it gives the song a more playful direction, but still holding a strong, confident front.





Lyrics
I read on some YouTube comment that this is a response to SNSD's "Gee", but I really don't know. I don't see the relation any where. Anyway! From what I gathered in my head, this is a song trying to convince the other to come out of her shell. "Stop being shy." "No more games." "I want you to my lady." In some ways, it's a little alluring, but in a more smooth, down low, and at your own pace way...if that makes any sense. I guess you can say the girl has the control in this video, basing it off the lyrics.

Music
Although NassuN is very much a rapper, the music has a very smooth, slick R&B sound. It feels very familiar and comfortable. I don't know if Korea has heard anything like this, but I have. It's been used in the U.S. and it is effective for making the ladies' hearts flutter. It still maintains a little hip-hop flavor, but it's more mellowed out to appeal to the lyrics.

Visual Content
Obvious statement, we have NassuN and mini Rain G.O. They sport black and white to contrast with the two little background changes they're in. It's simple, classy, and appropriate. Unlike "Turn It Up", we have one woman (at most, maybe two). There's no interaction with this woman. We see her silhouette moving smoothly to the music or whatever, a pair of lips with a cherry, and artistic profile shots with the wind blowing her hair. Aside from that, we have some pretty abstract visuals: water rushing toward each other, a flower, whipped cream, dice, a poker chip. [Feels like an I Spy book XD] Whether it relates to the song or not, it is interesting to look at. Combining all of these elements gives off a more serious and suave vibe while listening to the music.

Both of these music videos have a few similarities to them, but they also have some obvious and not obvious differences. They're both kinda seducing songs, but they have two different tones to them. They also share a suave, confidence that men can use to model themselves and women can easily swoon over. An obvious similarity is that they're both shot in black and white. Shocking! They also have a few similar elements featured in it like women, a fancy car, a dog, and a Be@rbrick. But the first video's shots went along with the lyrics more and the second took a more abstract artistic approach. So, who's the winner of this comparison. I honestly don't know. If I weigh out my options, it's seems a bit unfair. I've enjoyed T.O.P longer than NassuN and I'm not a fan of MBLAQ, but I've grown tired of "Turn It Up" due to overplay and I can still listen to "O-IWI-O" like it's nothing. Let the record show that I've listened to both tracks equally.

They're both really great songs and music videos in their own way. So, I'll call this a draw and let you guys decide. (^^)b

No comments: