Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review: The Avengers


Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson
Directed by: Joss Whedon
Language: English
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 143 minutes



Every year, summer movies are the highlight of the year. Usually these are big movies come out as well as family friendly flicks. I suppose you can say that The Avengers kicked off the summer theater releases.

Nick Fury and the associates of S.H.I.E.L.D have been testing Tesseract to figure out it spower and how to utilize it, but something changes their plans when Loki of Asgard and brother of Thor appears from a portal created by the Tesseract cube. He places a spell on three important members of S.H.I.E.L.D, takes the Tesseract, and carries out his own plans to create chaos on Earth. After some searching and conflict, Fury, Black Widow, and a couple other agents gather the unofficial team of Avengers to bring Loki to justice as well as the Tesseract.

If you didn't know, I'm not much of a comic fan, but some superheroes intrigue me. I saw this on Mother's Day as a gift to my mom. She had seen all the movies leading up to this and I had only seen both Hulk and Iron Man movies. I figured a good movie will fill in the gaps for those who haven't seen the individual films and it did. We absolutely enjoyed every minute of this movie! It had a good balance of background information, character development, entertaining comedic moments, and well executed action scenes.

Since this was my first encounter with Thor and Captain America, they brought a lot of good things to the table and were easily likeable. The new Hulk was just as enjoyable. Iron Man didn't steal the spotlight too much, at least it wasn't in your face. I liked that there were two strong female characters that had not only strength but dimension in their emotions. Lastly, Hawkeye impressed me as a character as well. He seemed just as useful as the main heroes in the story. Everything felt natural and it's been a long time since I felt so eager to view a movie a second and third time. The editing and camera work was also superb and I'm just pumped to see the sequel and what follows in the individual films. I might go back to see Thor and Captain America. Maybe even the good Hulk movie again too. I have good feeligns for this series, but I don't want them to overdo it like some franchises.

Now that I understand why everyone saw this multiple times, I highly recommend you to see it if you haven't yet. This makes me excited about some of the movies coming out this year. Also, if you've seen the movie and understand the joke behind the shirt, an awesome review channel on YouTube is promoting Shawarma shirts.


Rating: 4.5/5



If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: