Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quick Movie Review


Snow White and the Huntsman (2012, USA) | Rating: 2/5

My prediction for this movie was good visuals and a poor story. I was right. Charlize Theron's performance as the queen was beyond the other actors, her brother was laughable, and the chemistry between Snow White and the Huntsman is nonexistent. The movie is way too long and there's a lot of unnecessary downtime full of Lord of the Rings-esque walking scenes between the group being caught and fighting. This is a constant pattern. The climax and resolution is underwhelming and I could probably be nit-picky about young Snow White too, but I'll just say that Mirror, Mirror was the better adaptation of last year.



Think Like a Man (2012, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

I had slightly low expectations for this movie, but it was actually really good. It might seem a bit generic for the genre and has a dash of ethnic diversity. Some people might not like it, but it's definitely not a movie to think deeply about it. It's entertaining and funny. The characters are mostly likable and fit realistic archetypes. It also doesn't bash one sex or the other either. It carries realistic viewpoints from both sides as well.



Silver Linings Playbook (2012, USA) | Rating: 4.5/5

The same friend that nagged me about Seven Psychopaths nagged me about this movie. I was skeptical and a bit standoffish about watching it due to the critical acclaim it received after the Academy Awards, but I gave in and watched it. I don't regret it either! It's beautifully executed and the acting is superb. I was surprised by Chris Tucker's serious acting abilities and Jennifer Lawerence's mature portrayal through her character. There was good chemistry and the story is quite touching. This definitely deserves all the praise it received.



Dark Shadows (2012, USA) | Rating: 1.5/5

I must admit that I was looking forward to this movie as I enjoy the Burton/Depp collaboration, but later once certain reviews started rolling in, I realized how silly it looked. Well, it looked polished and followed a bit of the Tim Burton color scheme, but everything else, aside from casting, didn't feel like him at all. There were minimal successful comical moments and I'm assuming it didn't give the show any justice storywise. The acting was so-so. Very over the top and silly. The resolution felt a bit rushed, but mostly it lacked entertainment value.



Man Bites Dog (1992, Belgium) | Rating: 2/5

Apparently, some of my film friends saw clips of this in one of our classes. Fortunately for them, they didn't sit through the entirety of this brutal foreign film. Curiosity won this round. I don't completely regret watching this film, although I wasn't expecting it to be French. The imagery is quite harsh and unapologetic. The plot of this mockumentary is indeed interesting, but the humor is above (or below) me and the end half is the hardest part to bare through. The resolution reminds me of The Blair Witch Project, but deserving.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: