Thursday, July 4, 2013

Quick Anime Review


Antique Bakery (2008) | Rating: 3.5/5

This is more than some boy love story. It's more of a dramatic story that brings four very different men together in their appreciation for sweets and pastries and their bond with each other. There is a bit of boy love, but it is not the main focus. The series gives us a look at each characters struggle and growth in an entertaining, dramatic, and inspirational way.



Dance in the Vampire Bund (2010) | Rating: 3/5

I didn't know what to expect with this series, but by the end I did enjoy it overall. Princess Mina is a bit of an annoying character and can come off bitchy, but as the series progresses I understood why she behaved this way and exposed some vulnerabilities in her character. The relationship or slight love triangle is a little faulty and it skewed my view of the ending as either sweet or disappointing. The visuals are also interesting and quite slick.



Heart no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Wonder World (2011) | Rating: 2.5/5

I was intrigued to watch this movie through cosplay and it's a shame how vague and disjointed the movie is presented to someone who has never played the games or read the manga. I could grasp a few ideas here and there, but I will check out the manga to further understand the characters and conflict. Aside from that, it's amusing and colorful. The characters are interesting and I really wish there were less gaps to fill to fully appreciate their design.



Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (2007) | Rating: 4.5/5

I started this series a couple years ago and finally finished it. If you didn't already know, this second installment is supposed to fill in the gaps of the mysterious violent acts among our main characters from the previous season. From where I picked up this year, I found this a little more mentally scarring or unsettling than the first. It's still an amazing and engaging story. Once again, you'll feel the need to find out what's going on and why everything is happening. Proceed with caution, this is no cutesy anime.



Junjou Romantica (2008) | Rating: 3/5

I heard of this series through a good friend and I'm always looking for entertaining shounen ai stories. This isn't the best, but it was indeed entertaining. There's one main plot/couple and then some smaller ones to bring something new to give you a little break, but doesn't deviate too far from the series' style or formula. One little annoyance I want to mention is the art style. It kinda bothered me that some of the characters looked too similar to other characters.



If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: