Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Quick Movie Review


Cabin in the Woods (2011, USA) | Rating: 3/5

A certain reviewer mentioned how he was surprised by the twist of this movie, but honestly the reveal is in the trailer. It didn't surprise me. Anyway, I kinda understand the hype around this movie. It feels like, dare I say, the new generation of Scream and for horror fans and filmmakers, it makes you more aware of the tropes in horror. It's amusing and does throw some surprises in there.



Misery (1990, USA) | Rating: 4/5

Another movie with a writer protagonist and an absolutely good one too. I already knew the premise and the secret behind Kathy Bates' character, but it was fascinating how far she went for this guy. I find the contents of this movie quite relevant to present day fanatics. The story is great, although a bit lengthy, but you're just trapped in this insanity with protagonist. Must see for suspense lovers.



The Man with the Iron Fists (2012, USA) | Rating: 2.5/5

It seems like a lot of people are really critical about this movie. Some even state that this is the worst movie they've seen. It's not terrible, but it could be so much better. I would've eliminated RZA from acting or at least narrating the story. He lacks the skill to do either of those tasks. The execution is a bit poor, but not a complete failure. The fight scenes are interesting, but doesn't match the nostaglia or recent takes on martial arts. The best part of the film are the Gemini Twins, Madame Blossom and her girls, Lady Silk, and the visuals. The sets for this movie are just amazing too~



Monsters University (2013, USA) | Rating: 4/5

First, I want to acknowledge the opening short, The Blue Umbrella. It was beautifully done both visually and musically. I'm always impressed with how effective Pixar conveys various emotions in our hearts in such a short amount of time. I don't know if this was a mix of reality and CGI or completely CGI, but it looked amazingly tangible. Now for the prequel, which I enjoyed very much. I'm glad they decided to go backwards instead of forwards to relate to the audience who grew up with Monsters Inc. similar to their sentimental tactics with Toy Story 3. It was funny, entertaining, and had some touching moments. The storyline was good and the characters were unique but familiar to reality. It might not be the scale and awe of Monsters Inc., but it is definitely worth seeing if you enjoy the monster duo.



Adaptation. (2003, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Originally, I started watching this movie in my intro writing class. It seemed pretty interesting, so I was happy to see this one on the shelf of my workplace. I checked it out and I found it quite enjoyable. It gives an enlightening yet entertaining view of being a screen writer, especially an introverted one which fits me perfectly. Even though people have issues with Nicholas Cage's acting, I think he did quite well with both roles in this movie. I commend the writers too, because it sounds difficult to put something like this together. Lastly, there are a few unexpected twists.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: