Friday, October 3, 2014

Quick Movie Review


Plush (2013, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

I like Emily Browning. I think she's a beautiful and talented young lady. I think she's grown up very well in a biological and skill sense, but I won't spend this short review on how impressed I am with her development with each movie I've seen her in; I will simply say that I wish I could see her in more things without oversaturation. I believe I saw a small gif set from this movie on Tumblr or something, I'm not completely sure. First of all, reading the summary or watching the trailer makes you think one thing is happening, but in reality it's something else which is a good thing in this case because the movie plays off misleading the situation. You want to think it's one thing, but there's something more complex and perhaps unexpected. I was happy to see Xavier Samuel in another movie and was amused by the role he was playing since the first saw him in The Loved Ones. He looks very attractive too. For such a simple premise, I enjoyed the twists and turns it took throughout the movie, although part of the reveal was unintentionally funny to me. Browning's character isn't played as ridiculously weak in this thriller which makes it all the more enjoyable.



13 Sins (2014, USA) | Rating: 3/5

If you haven't noticed from my recent movie reviews and my up-to-date list of movies I've watched this year, I've been watching a lot of little known movies lately. With those little known movies are intriguing previews and this movie was one of them. When I was looking up the synopsis for this one, I noticed from IMDb commenters that this is remake of the Thai movie 13: Game of Death, which I'm planning on watching in the near future and perhaps compare the two. Basing it off the trailer, there's already a good amount of similarities. Anyway, while watching this movie I had a tiny sense of Saw and Would You Rather? as Elliot faced each challenge throughout the movie. It's an unusual movie with an ending that may or may not be satisfying to its viewers. Also while watching, it was kinda fun thinking of alternative ways of how to execute each task or simply deciding not to go through this game at all. I thought the movie was decent and entertaining, although I think Ron Perlman and Rutina Wesley were a bit underutilized.



The Bleeding House (2011, USA) | Rating: 3/5

This movie was recommended by a friend and going into it I didn't know much about it. I did read the synopsis on the back of the case and it seemed almost like a home invasion movie or just one of those mysterious guest type things. Just the summary alone makes it almost seem like it's not a horror movie since the mystery guest's description doesn't sound all that suspicious nor his intentions. Of course, when you watch the movie, it's a whole different story. This isn't your conventional "stranger in our home" movie, there's more to it, but you don't find out the juicy details until the family is in peril. This is a slow building thriller with some subtle, but interesting characters. From time to time, I would try to guess what's going to happen next, but in the end the movie delivers something else. If you want a twist on a concept that has been done before, I recommend you give this one a try.



Afflicted (2013, Canada) | Rating: 2.5/5

Looking at this box cover art, I initially didn't want to see this movie. On first judgment, I had flashbacks of movies likes Hostel, Turistas, and other bad overseas travel horror movies, but a good friend recommended it to me. So, I reluctantly gave in for her and it was everything I didn't expect. Very much the opposite of what those other movies offer. Yes, they are traveling abroad and look for women, but for a different purpose. Yes, it could fall into the annoying first person/found footage movies. It could borderline be an infection movie, but all these elements are utilized differently compared to its predecessors. Despite the dialogue being silly or annoying and a couple scenes being dragged out longer than needed, this movie was pretty decent. I think it falls more on the lines of Chronicle with its content and shooting style with a horror twist.



Stage Fright (2014, Canada) | Rating: 3.5/5

I kinda expected this movie to be a bad cheesy, but it was actually decently entertaining. The cover calls it Sleepaway Camp meets Glee, but I mostly thought of Repo! The Genetic Opera. Obviously, this is a horror musical that pays homage and lovingly mocks well known and respected horror movies such as The Phantom of the Opera and Carrie. There isn't much depth to the content and characters, but I believe it's supposed to be taken simply or lightly with its silliness and musical moments.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: