Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Quick Movie Review


The Boxtrolls (2014, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

It's always refreshing to see a kids film that utilizes stop animation. I have a great appreciation for all the people who put effort into such a tedious form of animation too. This was a cute little movie for an older set of kids and perhaps even adults who enjoy movies like ParaNorman and Coraline. The tone is very similar of having this dark, slightly mature atmosphere and style. Much like those movies I mentioned, I'm not sure if younger kids would receive this movie well, hence my suggestion of older kids to adults, as some themes and characters may seem a bit disturbing. It's a very simple story and puts into perspective that family does not have to be your conventional mom, dad, and child(ren). There are all sorts of different types of families out there and just because they're not your typical structure does not affect the kid negatively. It's all about the love you give.



Alice Sweet Alice (1976, USA) | Rating: 3/5

I believe my interest for this movie came from a YouTube list of scary movies or scary moments in horror movies. I try my best to check out horror movies from the past, especially if they made an impact on cinema or the horror genre. While watching this movie, I couldn't help but think of other bad little kid movies like Children of the Corn, Bad Seed, The Good Son, and so on, but this movie takes a creative spin on the bad kid concept. In some ways, you kinda want to sympathize with Alice as her aunt always gives her a hard time and her sister receives a lot of favoritism over her. So, in a way, you understand her motive. The crazy thing is that the whole time you believe one thing, but it's really something else and when it gets to the end, you have no idea what to believe of the whole situation. The story is pretty entertaining and keeps you thinking, despite the overacting. So, check it out if you appreciate older horror movies.



Suicide Room (2011, Poland) | Rating: 4/5

This movie was recommended to me by a friend and I did have it have saved to watch later on YouTube. Ah, copyright... Anyway, I received the DVD at work and I was excited to see what was in store for me as I watch it. Little did I know that there was no English audio option for watching the video, so subtitles ahoy! I have no problem with that obviously, I'm quite used to it, but it was interesting hearing people speak Polish. So, the movie, I thought it was very interesting and nothing close to anything I would have imagined. I wasn't sure whether the title would coincide with the actual content, but it does, so I will definitely say this movie isn't for everyone. It may be triggering to some people as it deals with bullying, sexual identity, self harm, and, the obvious, suicide. The movie and subject matter are handled very well, despite some IMDb commenters accusing the main character of being a selfish brat. I can somewhat see that little trait, but it is not very prominent and he does deal with issues any person his age would deal with. Nonetheless, the movie provides its viewers sympathy toward our protagonist and that is very important in a matter such as this.



Jawbreaker (1999, USA) | Rating: 2.5/5

Reading the information on Wikipedia, I have learned that this is indeed inspired by Heathers, which is a movie I would recommend to those who love Mean Girls. As similar as this movie is to Heathers, it didn't leave that great of a taste in many people's mouths as it didn't succeed in box offices. I thought the movie was alright, but nothing as satisfying or repeatable as its inspiration or Mean Girls. It's not terrible or unwatchable, but it lacks something that the other two movies have which is lasting personality. The blame lies within the flimsy, try too hard script. I can say that the actors tried their best to accommodate.



Eden Lake (2008, UK) | Rating: 2.5/5

I've seen this movie on a few horror movie sites and Tumblrs that recommend this movie. I've also seen it on a couple DVD previews as well. Nonetheless, I was intrigued by it one way or another. There were a couple moments I thought of Wolf Creek...in a good way as there were tiny positives in that horrid movie. I've seen plenty of facepalm worthy trip movies and they all have tropes. The biggest factor is the ultimate threat. Could be disease, a curse, cannibals, a group of people, whatever. I wasn't completely impressed with this movie, but it definitely was the best thing I've seen in this category of people or couples going on trips and being threatened by who knows what. Although, it did present some frustration, both good and bad, and it had to deal with said threat. While the enemy does successfully give the viewer enough fuel to want to watch them burn, the resolution leaves a terrible burnt taste in your mouth. It's sad to say that they should've taken a page from Hostel and give a little victory for the protagonist and viewers.



If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: