Sunday, August 25, 2013

Quick Movie Review


Side Effects (2013, USA) | Rating: 3/5

I heard this movie was good from a lot of people and, for once, it actually was. I didn't know what to expect from this movie, but surprisingly it easily kept my attention as things went on. There's nothing loud or vibrant about the movie, but something about the story kept me engaged. The movie leads you to believe that one thing will happen, then it completely changes directions and concludes with something you never would've suspected, which I like. One relationship in the movie felt a little awkward in one area, but it made things interesting and a little more darker. This was a good, light suspense movie with a tiny bit of psychological elements to it.



The Collector (2009, USA) | Rating: 2/5

What do you get when you combine the later Saw movies, Home Alone minus the comedy, and an awkward sex scene? You get this movie. I only watched this out of recommendation and boy did they miss the mark on my taste level. The characters were dumb, the kid was the smartest family member, and the premise was weakly executed. I did manage to cheer for the protagonist, but I know very little about him. The torture and traps obviously received the most time and effort. A couple scenes I enjoyed were when the protagonist and the kid teamed up against the mysterious killer and the ambulance accident. I don't think I'll be watching the sequel anytime soon.



Kick-Ass (2010, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

Obviously, I'm late for the party, but I was really iffy about this one. I have not read the comic and something about it never really interested me, but I gave it a chance recently and surprise, surprise I did enjoy it. I'm not enthusiastically jumping out of my seat, but no flaws stood out too much. I enjoyed the various characters and the way the story progressed. It felt realistic and it was funny and dramatic when it needed to be. It also had a nice comic feel in it when it came to the drama and relationships, because honestly none of that stuff would happen in real life. After seeing this, I wouldn't mind checking out the follow up, especially with Mr. Carrey and Mr. Faison on board. Whether it'll be in theaters or on DVD, I'm not sure.



Good Deeds (2012, USA) | Rating: 3/5

When I first saw the trailers to this movie, it seemed like a vanilla, goodie goodie movie with no conflicts, but Tyler Perry proved me wrong. This did stray away from his usual stereotypes and his character had flaws. The support roles were kinda forgettable, mostly his wife and her friends. The drama wasn't over the top, although the resolution seemed too good to be true. There was a lack of consequence for Perry's character and the consequence for his brother was just too obvious for anyone to really care that he didn't get his way. I definitely enjoyed this more than Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, but the conflict was pretty safe like most of his films.



Heathers (1989, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

For fans of Mean Girls, I think they should definitely check out this movie, because I'm sure most of you are about the same age as myself. This is a more mature and extreme look to the hierarchy of high school popularity. I didn't expect so many similarities to Mean Girls, such as the roles each Heather fills and the main characters from the other movie. What happened during the movie kept it interesting and Mean Girls did take what could've been a loose remake in a different direction. Veronica had a little more control and she actually developed a relationship, unfortunately that turned into a direction I didn't expect it to go. Also, I love the ending. It's a cruel, but good resolution that doesn't sugarcoat the situation like other movies of its time or even present day. On the other hand, the adults, mostly the parents, are a bit flimsy, but don't take away from the enjoyment of the movie.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

1 comment:

CVSleen said...

If you want to go see Kick-Ass 2 in theaters, I'm certainly more than game to go see it again. Not to try and oversell it, but genuinely loved it.