Thursday, April 2, 2015

Quick Anime Review


Fastening Days (2014) | Rating: 5/5

This 11 minute ONA almost feels like a 25 minute episode and I say this as a good thing for once. It's a vividly colorful story with some cute and unique elements. Youji and Kei are raised by their foster parent Anna and they're very brilliant. So brilliant that they have a double life as superheros with zipper powers (hence the name). They're not your typical superheroes that fight crime; they simply solve common, everyday problems by using zippers. I thought this could easily be turned into a short series as I found the characters and their relationships among each other very intriguing and adorable. It's amazing how easily you can attach yourself to these characters. I highly recommend this one!



Psycho-Pass (2013) | Rating: 3/5

This series was recommended by a friend and I promised her that I would watch it after I completed Zankyou no Terror. Honestly, it took me some time to really get into this series. I think when things started to really pick up with Makishima Shougo my interest definitely piqued. I enjoyed the cat and mouse chase, the mind games, and the twist and turns the series offered, but I didn't buy into the hype too much. Nonetheless, it was very entertaining and the animation was very nice. I'm not sure if I'm interested in the second season just yet as I don't feel extremely invested in this series, but we'll see.



Amnesia + Special (2013) | Rating: 3.5/5

I believe this series is loosely based on a game and I heard about it through a friend. The premise sounded pretty interesting, so obviously I checked it out. I love the opening song by Nagi Yanagi. It's absolutely beautiful and hard to skip. I really liked the art style as well and I thought the character designs were very visually appealing and cleverly used the card suits as inspiration for their designs. The story may be a little frustrating at first as our protagonist (literally named Heroine) is a bit on the ditzy/naive side, but the story revolves around her memory lost and the fact the timeline repeats itself with a different companion for Heroine. Once you realize what's going on with Heroine and the storyline, I found it a little less annoying or confusing. You tend to want to figure out what the heck is going and which timeline is real or not. So, I guess it does provide a bit of fanservice in that sense, but it's not terrible. The viewer is able to explore the varying personalities of Heroine's possible suitor. The special OVA is even more fanservice-y as you get to see the boys in silly and cute costumes. The OVA isn't really necessary for viewing as it doesn't really supplement the story in any way, but it is amusing to see Sentai hosts.



Sakasama no Patema (2013) | Rating: 3.5/5

I noticed we had a new anime movie at my job and I was curious what it was all about, since I hadn't seen an anime movie in a while. I watched the English dub of this which was pretty good. The story was intriguing. It had a little bit of religious tones to it, but it wasn't overwhelmingly dependent on it. It deals with Patema and Age finding each other and learning about their inverted worlds. They build a trust between each other and try to unite the two worlds together, despite the beliefs their people have of the inverted underground and open sky world. At certain points, I thought of a couple Miyazaki films, like Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, for some reason. It's a very simple story with likeable characters and beautiful animation.



Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! (2015) | Rating: 5/5

All around me were fans being excited for second seasons of shows like Durarara!!, Tokyo Ghoul, and Psycho-Pass, but I was looking forward to this series with a couple friends. I have friends that have always wanted to be a magical girl and now we have a magical boy anime series! Something I didn't think I needed in my life, but so openly and proudly accepted it. Watching the previews made me really excited and I knew what it was parodying, even though I've never seen an episode of Sailor Moon. The show is ridiculous, silly, meta, and so much fun. I loved every episode of this show and the characters are just the best. I think this series would be appreciated by magical girl fans (and probably shounen ai lovers), especially all the little references it makes episode to episode.


If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: