Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Quick Anime Review


Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (2013) | Rating: 3/5

This is a first for me to follow a new series as it is being released. It has an interesting story that ties in current technology of phone apps and mixes it with demons. I believe this series is loosely based on a video game of the same name. Anyway, I found the story interesting, new, and somewhat familiar. I liked majority of the characters, especially Yamato, but some of them had their annoying moments, pretty much the main 3 characters. Fortunately, that did not stop me from watching. Although, the ending is a bit up in the air. Perhaps a second season is in the works.



Aiura (2013) | Rating: 4/5

This was a bit of an accidental find. I was finishing up a series and I saw the name somewhere. I was curious, so I clicked and learned it was a rather short series. You could pretty much finish the whole series in a day because each episode is 4 minutes long, that's including intro and outro. It's a really cute slice of life comedy with three school girls, Saki, Kanaka, and Ayuko. There's no big conflicts just straight comedy and cuteness like DiGi Charat. By the way, I love the opening. It reminds me of Maria Holic.



Tiger & Bunny (2011) | Rating: 3/5

How much can you say about a hero with powers? Well, this anime shows a different side than what I'm used. This series is about heroes, but the main focus is relationships. The connections you have with your partner, your friends, and your family. There's a lot of ups and downs and you become attached to some characters to the point that you start rooting for them when times get rough. The animation is gorgeous and vibrant and it was interesting to see two stories join together for one series. There's a definite arc separation, but it all ties together overall.



Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (2010) | Rating: 3/5

I didn't know what to expect from this series, other than the obvious perversions. It reminded me of FLCL and Super Milk-chan. There's a lot of things going on and it kinda seems random, but somehow it all flows together to make a somewhat story. You don't realize that all this chaos and madness actually has a purpose or plot until the final episode. The animation also reflects the mishmash of storytelling. It usually looks a little goofy like Milk-chan, but once the transformation happens, Panty and Stocking look more clean and sleek, then suddenly when the ghost is defeated, it's like an old Japanese movie where the monster is a model and explodes. This series isn't for everyone and definitely should be viewed by a mature audience that likes pervy humor. Also, I love the soundtrack.



Baccano! (2007) | Rating: 3/5

I first heard about this series through JesuOtaku. I didn't know what to think of this historical westernized series, but it was full of action, blood, twists, and turns. It has a bunch of interesting and unique characters to keep the story exciting. It's different than what I normally watch and it's extremely bloody too. You will not be bored with this rollercoaster ride of a series and keeps you on your toes as it travels back and forth through time. A couple recommendations for watching this show: be sure to watch the three special episodes once completing the core episodes and, personally, watch the English dub version.



If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: