Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DBSK's "Something" vs. Girl's Day's "Something"

Ah, it feels like forever since I've gotten around to one of these music comparisons. Don't worry, I have more in store for you, guys. Also, if you want more, please let me know by voting in the poll to the right as well as anything else I should post more of. Today is [obviously] a comparison between the two "Something" releases. I guess they're running out of titles.


Lyrics
Where to begin with these lyrics? Honestly, I really don't know. I feel like I'm missing "something" to understand what's going on in this song. I think I got the gist of what they're trying to convey, so don't yell at me too much if I'm completely off base. The song is about this woman who keeps hanging around them and has some sort of feelings or interest toward them, but is hesitant or shy about doing or saying anything. The guys want her to speak up, if she doesn't, she's wasting their time, even though they don't mind giving her chance. They want to give her a good time, make the night the best night of her life, but they're not going to do anything if she doesn't make a move first.

Music
The sound is a nice step away from the usual SM electro-pop/dubstep fusion. It has a nice big band sound with a nice swing beat. It's a bit refreshing from everything else. It's smooth, fun, and sophisticated. The melody goes well with the lyrics and the chorus is easy enough to stick in your head without getting on your nerves like most earworms.

Visual Content
Honestly, I was dreading having to re-watch this video for this post because of the visuals, but I'm going to try not to make this too review-like. The guys wardrobe pleasantly matches the tone of the song and lyrics as the classy, mature men with a slight edge, even though the fake tattoos look super tacky. The scenery also matches the tone very well, along with the mix of sophisticated male dancers and sexy, dangerous female dancers. Despite all those positives, with it's puppetry choreography, it's not that interesting at all. It's negatives bring it down a lot and brings that dread I mentioned before. God, I hope I never have to watch this MV ever again.



Lyrics
Thank you, Girl's Day! I understand your lyrics with no hesitation. *grumbles* This song is about a cheating lover and the girls notice that "something" is off about them. There's a strange scent, they're acting odd, etc. In typical cheat songs sung by women, they wonder why. Was it something they did? Did their lover think their feelings were fake? It's well put together and *yells at DBSK's songwriters* easy to understand.

Music
It was interesting that After School put out another version of "First Love". No, no...it's true. They sound almost alike, but fortunately, I like that song and this one was pretty decent. It has a simple beat that I bet would sound amazing live with real instruments. It's easy and familiar whether you listen to kpop or not. It's a simple fusion of R&B and electro-pop.

Visual Content
Once again, I have to call Girl's Day out on their appearance. This is totally some SISTAR's "Alone", but more risque. I think they had to change their outfits for certain live performances or "something". Anyway, the video is a pretty basic choreography and story switch. You have the girls dancing, playing with their feather rings and slits in their skirts, and doing some weird bounce movement. I thought they had to pee. The story simply features typical beauty shots of the girls emoting disappointment, subtle anger, and sadness in various rooms of a home.

Looking at what I had to say about both videos, it's probably obvious which one I would pick as the winner, but I must admit I'm not a big fan of either of these groups or songs. On the plus side, DBSK has "something" different than majority of what kpop groups are putting out. They made a bold move by turning their dubstep dance break into a big band interpretation of that sound. Unfortunately, their biggest downfall was their visuals. Aside from the obvious [and annoying] use of white women as a luxurious accessory, the wardrobe made me uncomfortable, the tattoos were silly, and the sets seemed cluttered with effects and people. For Girl's Day, they stuck with typical sounds and visuals and don't offer anything new or even slightly different like DBSK. But I think I could listen to their song every now and then without cringing and their video is easier on the eyes too. Therefore, the winner is Girl's Day!

What do you guys think? Do you agree with me? Or do you think that DBSK has "something" more than Girl's Day? Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts on this musical comparison.

No comments: