Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Quick Anime Review


Gakuen Heaven (2006) | Rating: 2.5/5


I think I only watched this because I like shounen ai and I read one of the manga. The story was pretty generic and after a while, I got a little annoyed with Keita and Kazuki's relationship. I did force myself to finish and it was alright. It's hard finding an impressive shounen ai series, but if you want to pass the time with fluff, then this is a decent series to do so.



Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) | Rating: 2.5/5


I started this series long time ago, since I won the first volume at a con. I decided to pick the series up again and complete it last year. I know it's a classic, popular series, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. The story is unclear and purposely mysterious with ambiguous meanings for fans to discuss like Clockwork Orange. The visuals were impressive and the relationships were entertaining, but I'm glad I don't have to hear Shinji's voice anymore.



Trigun: Badlands Rumble (2008) | Rating: 3/5


One of my best friends told me about this movie, so I looked it up and watched it. As a Trigun fan, it was great to reminiscent over the lovable characters: Vash, Meryl, Milly, and Wolfwood. I'm guessing this is a stand alone movie and isn't connected to the series' storyline. It has great animation, the storyline was decent, and was fun adventure ride, even with the new character. It's nothing mindblowing, but I think Trigun fans should still check it out.



Ghost Stories (2000) | Rating: 4/5


Same best friend introduced to me to this series a couple summers ago and it was amusing, so I decided to pick it back up this past Halloween. I've read comments about this series and apparently this is elitist anime fan kryptonite and they want to pretend that this series doesn't even exist. From what I got from reading reviews, the show did poorly in Japan and when it went stateside, the voice actors ad libbed the script mostly which made it very comical. The original story is still in tact, but it has tons of comedic moments. So, I highly recommend the dubbed version.



Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2006) | Rating: 4/5


An online friend was watching this series some time ago and it wasn't until last year that it really caught my interest. I knew that it was going to be split into arcs so you have to piece everything together to understand and that it was going to gruesome, but I didn't know that I was going to be so engrossed in it. I guess I'm a sucker for solving things, but the storyline helps keep you interested as well as the mysterious acts of violence. This isn't for the faint of heart.


If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: