Sunday, March 27, 2011

Quick Movie Review: The Classic Edition


The Bad Seed (1956, USA) | Rating: 4/5


Recommended to me by my own mother, we watched this little gem based off a stage play by the same name together. The set up of the movie is executed in somewhat of a play format with minimal scene changes, but it didn't seem necessary to go to ten different places. The acting is very overdramatic, but I think that's what adds to your emotions toward each character, even if a "basket of hugs" and a "basket of kisses" seemed like diabetic lines. Yeah, there's some sugary sweet cheesiness going on, but you get over it with the emotionless Rhoda and the effects her personality causes others around her. If you don't mind black and white films with sugary lines, then this is definitely for you, especially if you're a fan of The Good Son and/or Orphan.



The Shining (1980, USA) | Rating: 4/5


Thought spending time alone in an isolated cabin was a great idea to get the creative juices flowing? Well, how about a haunted hotel with your wife and son? It was a bit of a lengthy movie, but the things that go on during it keep you engaged the whole time. The thing I admired the most about this movie was all the foreshadowing, like the twins' line in the hallway to Danny, the flashbacks of horrific scenes, among a few other things. There were a couple parts I had to rewatch to understand, but I'm sure they might be easy to get the first time around if you're not doing something else on the side. This movie has some crazy and creepy moments that horror lovers would appreciate, especially since I haven't seen this type of creepiness in recent suspense films.



The Exorcist (1973, USA) | Rating: 4.5/5


I've seen this movie before, years ago, but everything was vague. In short...I love my job~ Re-watched it and...wow...totally different level of creepiness. I did not remember how vulgar and bold this movie was and I bet it was even more controversial in the 70's with it's content. Seeing it now, I think most people would enjoy it and still find it disturbing. Of course, there might be those who are just so use to the overuse of sex and blood. There were a lot of scenes that stood out to me and, like the previous two movies, it has an ending that will make you think and truly appreciate the art of classic suspense/horror movies back then. If you have a weak stomach, extremely religious, or can't handle obscene language or visuals, this might not be the movie for you.

1 comment:

xxdovahkiinxx said...

Yay, thank you! <3 Now I have more movies to check out and discuss with you.