Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Quick Movie Review


The Suspect (2013, South Korea) | Rating: 1.5/5

I was fairly impressed with The Man From Nowhere and A Company Man, so I was expecting the same quality of entertainment and action. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to the hype of the other Korean action flicks I saw previously. The story is kinda vague, the action scenes take away from the story, and the execution is very bland. Watching this movie felt like it was dragging on and on. It was hard to keep up with what was going on due to the poor dialogue and pacing. I would watch those other two movies I mentioned as they're a lot more satisfying and action packed!



Addicted (2014, USA) | Rating: 2/5

I remember seeing the preview to this movie in theaters and knew it was going to be ridiculous, especially since it's based on a book by Zane. I know I'm blindly blanketing all urban fiction as subpar, but it's definitely better than Fifty Shades of Grey. When I saw that my workplace had it in its collection, I wanted to check it out and...here we are~ Watching this movie was...interesting. It was very formulaic like a Tyler Perry film as we have a strong black woman with the perfect marriage, family, and job and simply throws it all away for as IMDb commenters would say "new penis". It was all fine and dandy with Quinton, but then it just went straight into "addiction". It all didn't make any sense. No logic whatsoever and the supposed explanation for her behavior didn't make any sense either. Supposedly, the book does a better job handling sex addiction and I'm kinda tempted to check it out as I heard it was pretty good and better than this movie from a co-worker. As for the movie, I found it as ridiculous and amusing as The Boy Next Door. Not a good movie at all, but somehow amusing.



Focus (2015, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

This year is having a slow start with interesting movies for me, meaning minimal trips to the theater until May. I saw the previews to this movie in theaters and my mother and I thought it looked pretty, so I was looking forward to taking a trip out to see it. We caught it on opening weekend and we really enjoyed this film. It reminded me a little of Ocean's Eleven (remake), mostly when they revealed the trick to their deception. I believed Nicky's ego, confidence, and charm and I enjoyed his relationship with Jess and his associates. I'm hoping this movie will heal any wounds people have gain from After Earth, because I found this rather refreshing in the midst of uninteresting movies. In fact, I might check this out again to catch all the hidden gems and tricks among the characters.



Fear Clinic (2014, USA) | Rating: 1.5/5

Honestly, I picked this movie up on a whim and I didn't expect it to be any good judging from the cover art. I didn't notice that Robert Englund was starring in it, but yeah, he's there and some unknowns, at least to me. Apparently, this movie is related to a web series of the same name and also stars Englund in the same role as a scientist with the technology to rid people's phobias. The premise, I'll admit, interesting, but the execution and presentation isn't very polished. The CGI is very obvious, the characters are unrelatable, and the story dabbles between predictable and boring. I'm sure new generation horror fans might enjoy it for the gore and weirdness, but there's really nothing remarkable about this movie in the least.



Miss Meadows (2014, USA) | Rating: 3.5/5

I wasn't very sure if I wanted to watch this movie or not. It looked kinda silly and it starred Katie Holmes as perhaps some sort of sweet vigilante. Once I popped it into my PS2, I was not disappointed or bored. As one of the characters mentioned in the movie, it's almost a cross between Mary Poppins and Pulp Fiction. Miss Meadows is a prim and proper elementary school teacher and she's content with her solitary life full of cheerful children, worldly music, tap dancing, and gardening, but there's a little more to her character. She fights for justice without hesitation every day. This contrast in her character makes the movie interesting, especially when she's so passionate about her substitution job and a budding relationship with a police officer. If you need an unconventional action movie with a hint of comedy, this movie is for you.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: