Saturday, June 27, 2015

Quick Anime Review


Durarara!! (2010) | Rating: 2.5/5

Years ago, I remember a friend recommending me this show and some time passed and another friend cosplayed Celty...more time passed and I finally watched the show (including the 2 extra episodes). Coincidentally, they announced and released a second season, Durarara!!x2 Shou, which I saw a bunch of my friends squealing and celebrating over. I know the show is pretty popular and I only noticed through cosplay observation. So, what did I think about this show? Well, I honestly couldn't join the hype. I did enjoy the show though, but at times, my attention tend to wane and my main interest lied with Celty's mysterious past and her looking for her head. Other than that, it kinda felt like a bit of chore to watch it came up in my anime rotation. In theory, I should've enjoyed this more as I had fun watching the various characters in Baccano!, but some sort of spark was missing for me. Anyway, glancing at MyAnimeList as I type this, I see that a third and fourth season are in the works to be release. So, I'm happy for the fans of the show, but I don't think I'll be pursuing this series any further...at least not immediately.



Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge♥ (2006) | Rating: 3/5

I originally heard about this series through a friend and I checked out the manga years ago. I'm still working on reading the rest of it and I noticed recently that the series ended in January (thank God!). So, I decided to watch the anime in the meantime as I was working on other manga series. It had been a while since I've been in The Wallflower universe, so it felt like I was being reintroduced to these characters while watching it. I tried to watch a bit of the dub in comparison, at least one episode, but I couldn't really get into it as the voices didn't quite suit what was pictured for me, mostly Yuki's. I thought the show was entertaining, but sometimes I kinda didn't feel like watching it as I enjoyed reading the manga so much more. The anime isn't terrible at all. It has the same spirit and humor as the manga, but it feels like it's missing something in the characters. Whenever I finish the manga, I'll try to make it a point to review it here, but the anime series isn't that bad.



Deadman Wonderland (2011) | Rating: 4/5

I originally saw the first episode of this series on Adult Swim, but I never kept up with it. Obviously, I picked it back up later when I finished watching Durarara!!, because I needed something a little darker in its place. It was definitely dark, but I wasn't expecting it to be so brutal. I didn't mind the violence though. It kinda reminded me of Tokyo Ghoul...or maybe I should say Tokyo Ghoul reminds me of this show. They share some similar elements, but for me, this show is more engaging and the characters are more likable. I wanted them to succeed with their goal and I was invested in learning more about their special powers as well as the prison/amusement park system. Although not necessary for viewing, I found the OVA to be entertaining as well. The way the series ended made it seem like a second season would be in the works, so hopefully, they'll pick it back up in the near future.



Junjou Romantica 2 (2008) | Rating: 3.5/5

Eons ago I reviewed the first season of this shounen ai series and now I've finally decided to watch the second season. What I vaguely remember about the first season and just re-read the brief review I written here made me feel about the same way with this second installment. The story and characters are still enjoyable and it was nice that they continued the storyline with each couple from the first season. Occasionally, I had to rack my brain to remember what happened with the side characters, but this season helped a little with refreshing my memory. Since I had the same positive feelings toward the first season, I had the same complaints as well, which mainly lies with the art style. Some of the characters tend to look alike, which can be problematic if you're not familiar or have a hard time remembering character names. Aside from that, it was amusing and it was nice seeing these characters again.



Assassination Classroom (2015) | Rating: 5/5

If you keep up with the anime I review here, majority of the series I watch are older series, but every now and then, I watch a new series that come out that year. This is something I mention from time to time as a reminder and as a fyi for new readers, I will happily watch new series you guys are curious about or even request me to review. Anyway, I've seen this manga occasionally on the shelves of bookstores, but never paid any attention to it. I don't completely remember what got my curiosity: either the title or seeing something about it on Tumblr. Nonetheless, I found this series thoroughly entertaining. The art style took a little adjusting to, but once I caught up to the newer episodes, I got a little impatient waiting for the next episode. I enjoyed every episode and the characters made it extra enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to the second season in 2016.


If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: