Monday, December 6, 2010

Quick Music Review


-OZ- - Rouge (2010, Japan) | Rating: 4/5
Favorite Tracks: Rotate, LEAD, flood bead, PLANT


-OZ- has been a fairly consistent band with their visuals and music, so I knew what to expect from their latest album...at least I believed I did. "Birthday" and "Rotate" set a totally new level to the band's sound compared to Versus, in my opinion. They still had the basic elements that made me follow them, but their growth as musicians shone throughout every track without straying too far. If you haven't picked up Versus, then Rouge is a must have to your collection!



exist†trace - TWIN GATE (2010, Japan) | Rating: 3/5
Favorite Tracks: DECIDE, RESONANCE, VANGUARD, Maid of Orleans


The girls have been busy experimenting with their sound and their latest album is proof they've been testing the waters. Their single releases "VANGUARD" and "RESONANCE" were already amazing to me. Jyou's smooth and aggressive vocals flow beautifully with the intense sound and even some of the ballads were pretty decent. Not all the songs clung to me as easily as the two previously mentioned songs, but it was alright overall. I'm hoping their next big release will blow me away like before.



Sadie - 棘-toge- (2010, Japan) | Rating: 3.5/5
Favorite Tracks: GREEDY EMOTION


I believe this single marked the band entering anime territory and I really don't mind that. Lately, Sadie's releases have been okay, but this has raised the bar back up a little. "棘-toge-" took me a little time to get the feel of it, but "GREEDY EMOTION" is what sold me. It had Sadie's signature style and a little extra power. I'm hoping the band will keep the momentum going whether it's heavy or mellow. Just keep it up!



MAA - Ghost Enemy (2010, Japan) | Rating: 3/5
Favorite Tracks: Ghost Enemy


Former vocalist of Marbell has decided to go solo and share here beautiful vocals with the world a little more. Upon hearing and seeing the title track, I had mix feelings. Her visual style were remnants of early Lady Gaga and the sound was similar to ICONIQ's. Then I moved onto the next track and heard that special quality that MAA has to her voice and style. I anticipate her fist mini-album this month to see what direction she's going.

No comments: