Saturday, October 17, 2020

BM5's September 2020 Favorites

 Favorite Music Videos
DOA - Rich Brian


There's been a few releases this month that have brought me much surprising joy. One of these came from Rich Brian's new project, 1999. I wasn't expecting him to further dive into his singing bag and 80's synth pop influences. This song was one of the standouts from the album and I had to share it with you all, if you haven't seen my review, yet. Hope you get as joy from it as I did.

Post Up - CL


The other surprise for me this month was "re-introduction" of sorts from QUEEN CL! I failed to mention this in my "Don't Do K-Pop" video, but I was trying to make CL be my gateway into K-Pop back when "Hello Bi+ches" and "Lifted" were being released. Obviously, that push in the western market was much more of a nudge. Therefore, I had to rekindle my relationship with CL when she finally left YG and dropped In the Name of Love EP which was a collection of previously written material. Now, it seems CL is ready to take the crown back from whoever you think that has it! Because, if you thought that she lost it..."That's cap!"

Favorite Short Film
A Long Time Coming - Wong Fu Productions


While tensions rise in American society, we see the importance of be socially aware. This can cause friction not only with random people online and friends, but even your own family. Being that people of color in the US all have many struggles, some that may have been caused by other minorities, fighting against overall injustice is something that everyone can get behind. Yet, the means of which to do that is always a concern. The addition of a pandemic isn't helping either. This short film does a fantastic job of suggesting how perspective and having open mind can help lead to conversations that can lead to understanding. Until we can come to that common ground, we can't build a solid foundation for the future. Enough of my short opinion piece, though. I'll the video do the talking and let you come to your own conclusion.

Favorite Music Discussion
Why Pop Music is Obsessed with This One Note - Andrew Huang


You know, I don't know why I haven't subscribed to this gentleman, yet. This time, instead of a "4 Producer, 1 Sample" video, we will talk about music theory and how it affects pop music. Yep, I bet you didn't think something like that could be so important to commercial music. Though, there really is a bit of science to creating music that pleases general audiences with how our brains typically operate. Here Andrew breaks down the current trend of what is called the "supertonic note". When he shows how many songs are currently utilizing it these days, I'm sure you'll be amazed like I was. Although, The Weeknd might be upset about how people are trying to dip into his secret sauce...

Full Sept. 2020 Favorites playlist: click here

No comments: