Thursday, June 14, 2012

Quick Movie Review


Do the Right Thing (1989, USA) | Rating: 2.5/5


This movie was an option to watch and write about in one my film classes in the fall semester and since I started working again, I figured I needed a little more Spike Lee in my life aside from Jungle Fever and Malcolm X. The story was entertaining and thought provoking, especially the ending message. I admired the cinematography and colorizations of the scenes as well as the animated characters. It's definitely a movie you would have to watch again to truly absorb the message this movie has to offer. My only major complain is the language. Less profanity would've made this film a little more enjoyable for me. Otherwise, I might try out more Spike Lee films in the future.



The Haunting in Connecticut (2009, USA) | Rating: 1/5


I was tempted to do a full review for this, but I decided to leave this as a request to those who want a more in depth review of it, which is mentioned at the bottom of this post. Anyway, this honestly isn't my type of movie and I'm slowly becoming tired of all these exorcism/possessed movies. I will admit that the previews made this movie promising when it first came out, but I'm happy I waited to just rent it and not risk anything but some time. The movie was quite boring, I wasn't attached to any of the characters, and the story was a little unclear at times. There were a few moments I didn't know what was happening and, in the end, I honestly didn't care what I missed and just accepted my ignorance.



The Devil Inside (2012, USA) | Rating: 1/5


I won't reinterate my thoughts on this genre in the same post, but from what I heard from realiable sources, this movie wasn't that good or scary at all. I honestly agree. I haven't had a good scare in the theater since The Strangers and that movie pissed me off in the end. Anyway, once again, I didn't care about the characters in this one either, but the story was mostly easier to follow than the previous movie above. They had a somewhat interesting concept, but it was already done before in The Last Exorcism it was just a different point of view. The similiarities come from the whole idea of making it a documentary, but at times the camera angles didn't seem logical to me. I guess the camera crew really took some major time to set up all those angles, I honestly don't know. There are some jump scares that were proven ineffective to me and the ending is quite predictable and annoying.



Men in Black 3 (2012, USA) | Rating: 4/5


Another movie I was looking forward to this year stems from my childhood and I took my mother to see it as a thank you gift. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it definitely exceed my expectations which makes me happy. They tied in some small elements from the previous movies which made me happy, even little things like the pug portrait, the font type in the credits, and the music. The jokes were funny and not too cheesy, the effects were great, and overall I had a blast watching it with my mom. The ending was satisfying and made me feel like Toy Story 3 all over again, which is a great thing by the way. For all those MIB fans, I think this movie is worth your while in seeing and makes up for the sequel if you weren't satisfied with that.


If there's something you want me to review (or want a more in depth review of the movies above or previous ones), check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: