Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Red Riding Hood


Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Lukas Haas, Gary Oldman
Directed by: Catherine Hardwicke
Language: English
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 100 minutes



It seems like fairy tales are making a small comeback and returning with a darkness surrounding it. Upon seeing the preview, the concept seemed intriguing, but seeing who the director was for this project hindered my financial support. So, I snagged this from work and watched it with my mom one night.

A young Valerie is introduced to us as we witness an immediate love connection, although mild and innocent, between her and Peter. We fast forward ten years later to see that their bond has not faded, but has grown stronger. The town becomes distraught when they view Valerie's sister Lucie's lifeless body from the sinister wolf. The wolf has been tearing apart families in the town quite literally and the townspeople are ready to fight back.



Before viewing, I openly predicted to my mother that the visuals will be good, but the story would be a flop and similar to that Twilight nonsense...and I was right. We constantly fought boredom for the whole 100 minutes and gained absolutely nothing from it. The story was slow and uninteresting and I literally applauded the poor, cliche efforts of the script writers. The "love triangle" was ineffective and at times didn't seem like one at all. I didn't care about the characters at all and I was crossing my fingers for the end to come sooner.

The visuals were decent, but nothing astounding and guessing who the wolf (or werewolf in this case) was a little entertaining. The conclusion was a complete throw away, "I don't care", predictable, and cliche. Spoiler, the werewolf in Red Riding Hood is Jacob. XD There's really no redeeming qualities aside from their try to hard dark visuals. Maybe they shouldn't remake these fairy tales into wannabe dark creations. I'm already hesitant to hand my money over for a mediocre dark rendition of Snow White with great visuals and a talented queen with lacking face time.

It's probably obvious that I don't recommend this movie unless you're a Twilight whore or insomniac. It is a complete waste of time, but it isn't the worse thing I've seen either. I'm not the only one who believes that as it has low scores from Rotten Tomatoes and Roger Ebert and Time magazine put it on the Top 10 Worse Movie list of 2011.


Rating: 1/5



If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: