Saturday, June 9, 2012

Review: Final Destination 5


Starring: Nicholas D'Agosto, Emma Bell, Arlen Escarpeta
Directed by: Steven Quale
Language: English
Rating: R
Running Time: 92 minutes



I started this series with my mom on Final Destination 2, but she saw the first one without me so I had to see that on my own. Anyway, we've watched every Final Destination together since then, except this one. We skipped out on it at the theater and I watched it recently from work.

Sam Lawton and his co-workers prepare for a company retreat. While riding the bus to their destination, Sam has a premonition of the bridge they're stuck on due to traffic would collapse. Once he snaps out of this horrible vision, he hurries to rush his girlfriend as well as his other fellow co-workers off to safety before the accident occurs. Just as predicted, the bridge collapses and there are some casualties. After the memorial service for his deceased co-workers, a familiar coroner makes a statement that death doesn't like being cheated and, from there, Sam's troubles begin.



As I mentioned before, I've seen every Final Destination movie in the franchise and this one I skipped out on in the theater. Like that previous movie, it was meant for 3D viewing which is highly overrated in my opinion and you can tell this was for 3D by the cheesy effects in the opening credits and certain shocking moments during the death scenes. The movie keeps its typical formula from the previous films, but the story and death scenes are highly lacking since the second sequel. Final Destination 2 is probably my favorite from the series. Anyway, I didn't feel sorry for any of the characters. At times, I was laughing when they were suffering, much like those girls who went tanning in the fourth movie that was also in 3D. That's probably a horrible thing to say, but these character personalities weren't very likable or just did incredibly stupid things in reality or in the premonition.

I will give the movie points for keeping me on the edge of my seat yet again during those chain reaction moments when you know something bad is going to happen, but it doesn't. Although those moments are kinda unlikely, it's a little creative too. The effects are a little cheesy and try too hard for those 3D in your face moments, but I wasn't expecting much after their first attempt at a 3D Final Destination that I actually did see in 3D...kinda. Even though I knew the conclusion, I enjoyed it and I hope with that the franchise is over...like SAW. I mean there's not much they can do and you can clearly tell they're running out of ideas when you're laughing your ass off when people die. It's practically a parody of itself as oppose to something that might make you a little paranoid. I must confess that going on the highway and seeing 18-wheelers carrying a stack of pipes freaks me out a little bit when I'm driving.

For fans of the franchise, I think this would be decent to watch, especially with the conclusion. If you haven't seen the series, you might enjoy its parody gore ways, but you'll miss out on the connection to the previous movies. They all have a little connection to each other. This will not be on the same level as the first or second movie, but I had a good time laughing at people's suffering as cruel as that sounds. Once you see it and look back at the others aside from the fourth installment, you'll understand what I mean.


Rating: 1.5/5



If there's something you want me to review, check out this post on how you can submit requests.

No comments: