Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Q&A: exist†trace

At A-Kon 24 in Dallas, TX, exist†trace held a Q&A for the fans and here are the questions asked by the fans, during this event. I want to thank their management for bringing exist†trace to Dallas and allowing the fans this opportunity. Pictures were allowed during this event, but what I have is blurry and I don't feel particularly proud enough of them to share.


Band Members
Jyou - vocals
Miko - guitar
Omi - guitar
Naoto - bass
Mally - drums



How do you feel being female in a male dominated genre?
Miko: Perhaps visual kei is suppose to be all female.

Who do you look up to?
Jyou: Dir en grey
Naoto: Marilyn Manson and MUCC

What was your experience like from indie to major labels?
Miko: My consciousness hasn't changed. I think it was a great opportunity to get more listeners. It also allowed us to release CDs in the U.S. and meet us.

How did you learn your instruments?
Mally: I didn't know what I was doing, so I watched other bands play.
Miko: I learned acoustic guitar from my mom and progressed to electric.
Omi: I got books, went home, practiced, and taught myself.
Naoto: I grew up in the music industry and learned from someone who worked in it, then I got books and taught myself.

How does metal appeal to you?
Miko: It's so rough and raw. When I feel upset or angry, I can express myself through that sound.

What is one tip for someone learning guitar?
Omi: Do it like you wanna do it.
Miko: Have fun.

What are your favorite bands?
Jyou: Mr. Big
Naoto: Abingdon School Boys

Do you converse with other bands you perform with afterwards?
Mally: If they're friendly and kind, we meet up and eat together.

What is your favorite food?
Naoto: Meat. Yesterday, I had a delicious roast.
Omi: Coffee. Recently, I like snacks that go together with drinks and liquor.
Miko: I want tacos now.
Jyou: Tofu.
[There was a mention that the girls hadn't tried Texas barbeque yet.]

What are your favorite animals?
Naoto: Reptiles and snakes
Mally: Dogs
Omi: Cats
Miko: Hunting bats

How did you meet?
Jyou: I met Naoto first and we wanted to make a band. She agreed, so Naoto talked to Mally. When Naoto and I asked her to join, there was another drummer, but Mally had the power and guts. Next, we put an advertisement in a magazine for guitarists with guts. Miko replied first and she exchanged letters with Naoto and found out they got along.
[For a moment, the members disagree on how the story went.]
At first, Miko was unsure and Naoto told her that she was gonna do it. We started as a four piece band, but we put another ad for another guitarist. Omi was unsure and nervous, before she agreed, and then they grabbed her.

What do you think of American fans?
Mally: American fans are the best. They are energetic.
[They promote their group and individual Twitter accounts.]

What is your favorite anime?
Mally: Anything Shounen Jump
Jyou: Sailor Moon and One Piece
Omi: Claymore and Evangelion
Miko: Death Note
Naoto: I like a lot of different anime like Naruto and Attack on Titan.

What is your favorite song to play live?
Jyou: That's kinda problematic. *thinks*
Miko: Little Berry(?), because Omi and I dance together.
Jyou: VANGUARD. No matter where we play it, the audience is energetic.
Mally: *deep in thought*
Omi: True
Naoto: Liquid
Mally: *still thinking hard* Unforgive you and Sky(?), but there's 10 other songs I like too.

How do your fans inspire you?
Miko: This may or may not answer your question. Before we perform, I feel like we're creating a song together. Once I get power from the audience, I record it. I get music from the fans.

Aside from visual kei, what music do you like?
Mally: JRock and jpop idol groups
Miko: New wave
Omi: The Cure
Naoto: R&B
Jyou: Pop, jazz music, and Disney music

What jrock bands would you like to collaborate with?
Jyou: RAMPANT's Hiroko. I feel like we're rivals.

"Ginger" has a different sound than your usual material. What influenced the sound?
Miko: Stray Cats, Brian Setzer, and Elvis

What is the story behind the band's name?
Miko: We wanted to express the feeling of living. We want to live.

What would you do if you didn't do music?
Miko: I don't know. Maybe I would move back to Dallas and live here.
Jyou: I don't know. I guess I would be a patissier and make candy. There isn't much I like.
Mally: I like dogs, so maybe a dog stylist.
Naoto: I would do something to express myself like writing a book.
Omi: I would want to do something similar to what Naoto said. I want to do something artistic and express myself.

Miko - What was your experience like in Dallas?
I lived in Dallas for 2 1/2 years. My father's job brought our family here. I went to an American school and I didn't know English, but the students helped me. Then my dad's situation changed we moved.

What's one word you would use to describe each other?
Mally: (about Jyou) The sun
Naoto: (about Mally) Moon
Omi: (about Naoto) Darkness, the very furthest planet
Miko: (about Omi) Earth
Jyou: (about Miko) Mars. She loves red.

No comments: