Monday, February 24, 2014

Top 5 Music Video Recommendations


"Full Moon" by Sunmi
At this moment, I'm a little speechless by a couple things JYP has been producing as of late and this video is one of them. Sunmi's newest track is quite simple with its saxophone sound and sweet, soft vocals. The color palette is nicely recycled from a couple miss A concepts which works with this vampire theme. There's a few things I don't like about this video that I can't ignore: 1) the quick vampire transitions. It's cool, but overdone in one scene 2) the weird butt wiggling dance...everywhere 3) and the rap section. Aside from that, I really enjoy this song, concept, and overall mood of this mature song. Looking forward to listening to the mini-album.



"Aoi Ryu" by EXILE ATSUSHI
I have yet to be pulled into EXILE completely, but I was happy that a very good friend of mine shared this with me. As most of you know, it's hard for me to get into ballads and surprisingly [well, I guess not so much since it's listed], I really like this song. The music might be a little basic and familiar, but I really don't care. The combination of Atsushi's soulful vocals, R&B foundation, acoustic guitar, and slight violin is absolute perfection and beauty. The dreary and dark visual atmosphere also helps push the tone of this song. There's a little eye candy too.



"F For You" by Disclosure feat. Mary J. Blige
From the visuals to the music to the guest vocal stylings, this song and video screams early 90s. I saw this video on a friend's Tumblr and figured I'd check it out, since I hadn't seen anything new with Mary J. Blige in it. I'm glad I gave it a chance, because this song has a simple beat and a catchy melody. It definitely brings in some good nostalgia dance feelings while modernizing the electronic beat and visual art.



"La La La" by Naughty Boy feat. Sam Smith
It's interesting what you find on YouTube through recommendations and whatnot. This falls under that category. I didn't know what to expect from this video, but I'm quite pleased and perhaps even addicted to this catchy little tune. I really enjoy the beat and the vocals are really effective in its delivery. The story is also equally as effective and appealing. It might seem silly, but I thought it was a reimagining of the Wizard of Oz. Upon scrolling through the comments, it's possibly based on a Bolivian folk tale. I have yet to look this up, but I had fun watching the making of this music video.



"Battle Cry" by Angel Haze feat. Sia
**TRIGGER WARNING**
Another random YouTube find! Honestly, I only tried it out because I saw Sia's name listed and I'm glad I did. This might be a been there done that type of concept, but it definitely has some heart and soul to its delivery, despite the closely similar melody to a particular Eminem song. Aside from that, I'm very interested in checking out more of Angel Haze's material. I hope she gets closer to the spotlight in the substance rap category this year.

No comments: